Hard Drive not readable sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabears

If this topic is not in the right section, sorry. I couldn't find a section that I thought would fit this more then this section. I have had my computer for 2 years. In the last 2-3 months it has been acting strangely. It randomly gets very slow. Sometimes it is because svchost.exe PID 1560 is using up 99% of the computer. Then sometimes it just goes slow, for no reason it seems.

I have tried many anti-virus software but it I never find any virus'. I have tried several types of spybot's, and only find cookies. Then upon reading about several people with slow computers and they had a cluttered up computer, I first tried a check disk. I got a crud load of errors. Then I did a system Defrag but my system did not need it. But it seems like the errors come back every time i restart my computer. So in order to get the errors gone for good, I tried Uniblue Registry Mechanic. It found over 700 errors and i got them fixed. In order to fix them my computer had to restart. My computer shut down fine but didn't start up again. I could get into bios but nothing else it seems like

I tried to reinstal windows but when i put my windows cd in, It could not find a hard drive to reformat. I then got the idea to take a look at my hard drive. It looks fine but is soo hot it burns. I then got the idea that I should let it cool down. But that did not work. Then i tried to unplug the wires from my hard drive and plug them back in. That worked. Now it seems like whenever i leave my computer alone for any amount of time, It shuts off on me and i have to unplug and plug in my hard drive every time.

Now heres my question. Is it a problem with my Hard Drive? Is it a problem with Uniblue Registry Mechanic?

if you suspect your HDD, then download a disc diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your HDD. Run it from its bootable form (burn it to a cd or something) and it will tell you if your HDD is about to fail or if its ok.

I ran the quick tests and the full test a few times. The full test i always needed to repair, but it always repaired successfully.

The quick tests i got two different errors. An error that says

06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 02 (Interrupted by hard or soft reset), Failure Checkpoint = 65 (Reserved File Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!

and

07-Quick Test on Drive did not complete! Status code = 07 (Read Element Failure), Failure Checkpoint = 65 (Reserved File Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!

But under SMART status i always passed.

What does this mean?

it means that if you have vital data on that drive back it up NOW! your hard drive is probably in the process of dying.

ty for your guy's help. I backed up my data, and just in time. My computer no longer starts. I can't get past the boot from CD part of startup. I'm just gonna buy a new computer.

This was the first computer i had built. I have had this computer for 2 years. It was a grand learning expierence. But the hassles of keeping it running aren't worth it. I have had many problems with it since day 1. So i decided this was the time to cut and run. Also, build a newer, better, computer :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back