Hard drive or OS issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running an Alienware Area 51 laptop, and recently have been experiencing the following issue.

When I power the laptop on it goes thru the normal boot sequence, until it hits the Windows XP splash screen. At that point hte Windows logo is barely visible and the notbook will not proceed any farther. Upon reboot, I get the 'We apologize for the inconvenience' screen. Sometimes it will boot as normal, sometimes it will get to the splash screen and I have to go thru it all again.

My question is, is this a hard drive going south? Or is it a repairable software issue? Please help, I cant stand my Dell!

Thanks in advance,

Trev

Download and run Memtest86.

Then, if that doesn't solve the problem (ie, identify bad ram) , Start, Run, sfc /scannow.

Then, if that doesn't solve the problem, download the latest video drivers to a folder called Video and uninstall the video drivers, reboot, and reinstall them.

Thank you for the help CCT, turns out I have a bad USB port...once I unplugged the preiprial from that particular USB port, it fires up with no problem whatsoever. Back in business. Thanks for your prompt response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back