Hard Drive problem - crashed and trying to recover data

Status
Not open for further replies.
G'day All,
I'm having a hard drive problem. My hard drive crashed I've bought a new one have loaded up windows xp pro tried connected my old drive (making a clunking noise) as a slave drive and my computer just hangs at the XP pro openning window and does not advance. If I disconnect the slave win XP opens up correctly. I can't then connect when I'm in windows as it doesn't recognise that i've connected the drive.

I'm trying to recover some data on the old drive.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated? thanks in advance.

the drive is falling apart right pieces sound like they have broken inside the drive am i understanding you correcty if this is so the drive inside is getting damaged but you can recover the info on it
it easier to take the hdd in to a comp store or teck and they will open up the hdd and take out the disk and put it in a machine that can read it and wala they can recover all info on the disk perviding it not to badly damaged already my cousin had this done when his apt was broken into when he was on holidays and his computer was burnt and smashed to hell he took in the drive i think it cost him like $30 dollors can. and all info was recovered from disk the easiest way

nellakita said:
the drive is falling apart right pieces sound like they have broken inside the drive am i understanding you correcty if this is so the drive inside is getting damaged but you can recover the info on it
it easier to take the hdd in to a comp store or teck and they will open up the hdd and take out the disk and put it in a machine that can read it and wala they can recover all info on the disk perviding it not to badly damaged already my cousin had this done when his apt was broken into when he was on holidays and his computer was burnt and smashed to hell he took in the drive i think it cost him like $30 dollors can. and all info was recovered from disk the easiest way
Thanks nellakita - I was trying to avoid the cost. Would probably cost much more in Australia

Could it be that your new HD needs to be set as 'Master with Slave' rather than 'Master' before you can see it?
You should not be prevented from booting unless the jumpers are somehow wrong on one of the drives (or even both).

Now that is a good point!! I know I've set it as the master - but you're saying that there is another jumper (It's at home and I'm at work so can't look at the moment) - if my memory serves me right i think there is one that started with a c? is that the one I use as the 'master and slave' jumper as opposed to the master only jumper?

That would be CS, Cable Select. Worth trying to set both to CS if all else fails.

Did I read correctly in your first post that you tried to connect the faulty HD while the PC was running? If so, that almost certainly screwed some of the HDs electronics.

put the failed drive in freezer over night
the banging could be heads are running wild , disc is not running at right speed.
put this drive on 2nd ide cable jumper slave.
past that a corrupt firmware setup will do same thing
there is no cheap fix for this.
If by chance you get it to work get all data off of asap
I have bought junk drives just for the firmware
swapped out crashed drives (bad servo's) still running today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back