Hard Drive Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I have a problem with one of my hard drives. Let me fill you in.

I had a problem with my first hard drive, it would only boot about 50% of the time, and even then it restarted on its own. So I thought well I was going to get a new disk anyway I might as well get it now. So I did, I installed Windows XP SP2 on it and all downloads etc, Now I set the new disk as Master and old disk as Slave hoping that I could just copy across the files through Windows Explorer. But when I try to acess the files It comes up with an error saying 'The disk in drive F is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?' I have lots of stuff on that drive that I need to get back so can't afford to formate it.

I have run PTDD Partition Table Doctor 3.5 Demo and EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard Professional 3.0 Demo on the drive but must admit that I didn't do anything as I don't really know what I'm looking for!

When I look at the disk in My Computer and click Properties it says the formate is RAW i'm guessing that has somthing to do with it!?

Any and all help will be very helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Rusty

Rusty,
how was the old hard drive formatted? NTFS or FAT32? Put it back as the boot drive and see if you can still read the data. If you can't the drive is bad. If it will boot, place the new drive as the primary slave and use a disk install program like Seagate's Diskwizard to reformat the new drive and copy all files including the operating system from the old drive to the new one. If Diskwizard completes successfully, you can place the new drive as C and you will be set. Seagates Diskwizard will work on all IDE/SATA drives, regardless of the manufacturer

Umm I'm not sure but I think it was NTFS.

When I try to boot it, it doesn't work!

Any other ideas on how to get stuff off there?

Rusty

Yey Fixed got all my files and all. I fiddled for a while then tryed what Tmagic650 said again and it worked!

Thanks Dude!

Rusty

That's great Rustyjake,
I've got a Compaq Presario desktop that I'm woking on right now. I'm doing the same thing I told you to do. Happy computing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back