Hard Drive randomaly reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently when running my computer during normal operation in Windows XP Professional I could hear the Hard Drive turn off and on real quick. This whole turning off and on process takes only a split second. During the quick reboot of the hard drive my computer will freeze, and then a second later I can resume working as before. However after this happens about 4 times the whole computer freezes I and must restart the entire computer.
Also on top of this problem I have been having a problem with starting up the computer. Basically if I push the on button it doesn’t always start up first time. Then after pushing it numerous times and wait for a bit in between tries the computer finally starts up.
Basically I was wondering if anyone could help me out figure what is going wrong with my computer. So far I have tried replacing the hard drive, and that didn’t work it still did the same thing. I am having a suspicion that the problem could either be my power supply or motherboard. But I don’t want to replace them before confirming this due to the cost of getting new ones. Also both these items are only 6 months old.
Thank you for your help, and if you need any more information feel free to ask.

Computer Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 2.4GHz Processor
• DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D MotherBoard
• Geforce 7900GT 256MB Graphics Card
• 2 GB DDR SDRAM
• NEC 16x DVD Burner
• Creative SOUND BLASTER X-Fi Platinum Sound Card
• COOLMAX CT-550 ATX 550W Power Supply
• 80GB Western Digital Hard Drive
• 250GB Western Digital Hard Drive

Check your event viewer for errors. (Start>control panel>administrative tools>event viewer). Check the System Area for any errors related to "DISK". Double click the item, and post the:

EVENT ID
SOURCE
DESCRIPTION

I started my computer up and waited till the dard drive would reboot real quick. Then i checked the events of the computer and this is what i got. If you could explain to me what it means that would be great.

Source: atapi
Category: None
Type: Error
Event ID: 9
Description: The Device, \Device\Ide\IdePort5, did not respond within timeout period.

After some more computer use i got another event. Here it is.

Source: Disk
EventID: 51
Description: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation

http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=51&eventno=793&source=Disk&phase=1

You might find a solution here. I wouldnt worry about the Atapi error.
One thing I could recommend for you to do is to download a free trial of Diskeeper (www.diskeeper.com. In the options tab, there is an option somewhere for "Frag Shield". You might have to look around for it, as I cant remember where in the program it is. After running this program on the trouble drive, reboot, and it should help your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back