Hard drive upgrade advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently got a Dell XPS400 computer but now realize I should have ordered a larger (or different) hard drive. current HD is a Seagate SATA, 80GB, 7200 RPM...may be a SATAII. I want a Western Digital because WD has a copy utility I like that cannot be used unless at least one HD in use is a WD. Have also been told that 250GB is the largest size supportable by my system/hardware, and that I may be able to use 16MB cache and 10000RPM to improve performance. Don't know if that's true or possible...anyone? Have looked at WD 2500 series...any suggestions or advice? My system data copied below for starters. I will look up anything else needed for members to suggest or recommend the suitable upgrade(s)

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DD7DHK91
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model Dell DXP051
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2793 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. A03, 1/3/2006
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2705 (xpsp.050622-1524)"
User Name DD7DHK91\Roger
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 1.01 GB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 2.10 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I am a moderately skilled computer user but don't want to make the mistake of ordering an upgrade that is not as good or better than the installed Seagate, and/or is not 100% compatible with my system/hardware.

Thank you for any advice, recommedations, or observations made.

I could be wrong on this, but I believe that Dell systems will only recognize dell components. The BIOS that dell uses will not recognize aftermarket components (which forces you to buy upgrades from Dell).

you may want to veify with Dell first if an aftermarket HDD will work in your system.

come on... you can use any components you want... after all its only a copmuter not AI... 250GB WILL work... from any supplier you want to...

KingCody said:
I could be wrong on this, but I believe that Dell systems will only recognize dell components. The BIOS that dell uses will not recognize aftermarket components (which forces you to buy upgrades from Dell).

you may want to veify with Dell first if an aftermarket HDD will work in your system.
ah yes.... DELL uses proprietary architecture.....

never buy a DELL for this reason. I almost forgot.

zvm76 said:
come on... you can use any components you want... after all its only a copmuter not AI... 250GB WILL work... from any supplier you want to...
can you verify this? it sounds to me like you are just assuming

well, i am using dells for past 6-7 years. never bought any additional components from dell... well cdrw drives only for laptops. any other - aftermarket... including memory, cpu modems and others...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back