Hard Drive Window Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

http://www.lanaddict.com/review.php?ID=34

few months ago I was intrigued by a small number of Hard Drive Modifications in which they put varied windows however none of which offered documentation on how they did such a mod, or even showed detailed instructions on how they did it. Now I've tried once before, on an aging hard drive and it was a dismal failure, after which many of my peers questioned my mental capacity claiming Hard Drives cannot be modified, and opening a drive in the open without being in a Clean Room would destroy the data on the drive and render it useless. Well, here arose the challenge, I had decided to prove them wrong. After browsing the internet and seeing a few articles, few tidbits of information I decided to set my eyes on a smaller hard drive from Ebay, it ended up being a $35 6GB Quantum Fireball, nothing fancy but at least I knew I wouldn't be wasting few precious saved dollars I had.

Now before I begin this article, we must let everyone know about the boring legal information you probably expect to see. This Article is for Educational use only, and all steps are experimental, which may be used as a guidelines however, LAN Addict and our staff cannot be held responsible for any damages you may incur while attempting the modification. We urge the extreme care when performing this modification for both safety, and responsibility.

http://www.lanaddict.com/review.php?ID=34

DSC00807.JPG

I did attempt it about a year ago - ended up destroying one of my hdds. The room wasn't clean enough, some dust got into the platters and it began to affect the heads gradually.

I am kind of curious as to what the hell the point is, but it seemed like it was an article worth showing people here....

yeah i guess so.... i wanted to do all that sort of stuff because my machines are the heart of my home entertainment system and it would be cool to impress guests with all of that plus broadband downloading and playing mp3s, etc... but really at the moment I don't have the time and from day to day am more thankful just that everything works....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back