Hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple

uh assuming you're using XP. power down your system.. plug it in, make sure it's reformatted to the appropriate file structure (NTFS on XP) and then start it up

(also, you can change your drive letter from "Control panel>Administrative Tools>computer management>Storage>Disk Management")

If you are using Windows XP and want to install the OS onto it; plug the HDD into your computer and turn on your computer with the OS disk in the computer. While the computer is loading the BIOS press F8 and select the disk medium that the OS disk is in. Once in the menu to install the OS in a partition, reformat the drive to NTFS and go through the process of installing an OS.

If you HAVE Windows XP and you want to install the old HDD; first, make sure you have Administrator Privaleges on that computer. If you have those privaleges, go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management. From there look for the drive that you just connected to the computer and format it to NTFS. From there you can specify the partition size.

redheffer said:
How can I install my old hard drive into my new computer
The question is, "What is your intent"?
If you assume moving the drive to another box will let you update the hardware
and still run the existing software -- sorry, it will not work as you intend due
to hardware drivers at the very least. Also the MS license is keyed to the
original box and you'll need another license.

On the otherhand, if you just want more storage and to preserve the existing
data files, this works just great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back