Harddrive says it's smaller then it is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray

Why does my computer read my harddrive size as 1.25 gig. When I know it's a 3 gig harddrive? Everytime I do something in my computer something else goes weird!!! All I did was install a CD/RW after removing the old CD player.

Ray

Have you ran scandisk or chkdsk? I've seen before where something will be messed up and the disk will report an incorrect amount of free space, and typically some disk repair program will correct that.

Hi SNGX1275

It really doesn't make sense. I scandisked the drive and then installed ActiveSmart disk utility and it reads as a Maxtor 71336 AP that has 1.24 gig the same as the computer says. Eveything says there are no error or problems. I checked the drive against the net and it says the same 1.24 gig. I have had this computer for ten years nearly. I upgraded my CPU from a 100 to a 166 chip, then overclocked it to 200 changing the jumpers. This wouldn't have caused this would it? I know I never changed the harddrive in it.
Ray

I realise that but no one has been in my computers but myself. I am going to open up the computer tonight if I ever get my paperwork finished. I will check and see what the harddrive says. I hope I'm not losing my mind.

Ray

Short of a conspiracy to replace your old 3GB drive with a 1.33GB, the model number says it all.

I doubt someone would go through the effort of stealing your 3GB and replacing it with a 1.33GB... And not only that, but even ghosting your data over. :) hehe.

I think it is just an honest mistake. I see them all the time at work.

I bow my head in shame.......------:(
You guys are right. I finally zero'd in on my ownership papers after taking the hdd out and looking at it. It is a 1.3 gig hdd. Why I was possessed with the fact it was a 3 gig is beyond me. But as my status says....."Newcomer in training". Well I've been getting on the inside of computers for only a month or so and I have to say..this site has helped my tremendously......Thanks to all for being patient with me.

Maybe at some point you compressed the drive and then reformatted? With disk compression the drive may have reported 3 Gigs.

Don't worry about it. Its easy to make simple mistakes. Believe me, I am learning very hard right now, and you do feel like an ***** when you have to ask people who take what you want to know for granted. You've done nothing silly. Just keep experimenting and keep learning, and you will be fine. We were all at your stage at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back