Harddrive won't cycle when pugged in to motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,
I have a strange problem. My hard drives will spin when they are plugged into just the power supply, but when they are connected to the motherboard they will not power up. It is a new motherboard so I checked the old motherboard and it was doing the same thing. Different drives, different power supplies, different memory, different CPUs, different connection cords, same problem. Any ideas?
Thanks.
Seadol

Forget the fact that that you can't hear or feel them spinning, do they show in the bios? Do other harddrives work? Are these new drives?

hard drive

i think your hard disk mediia was gone soo its use less to you or if works on the other mother board so it means your mother board are not supporting the hard drive so its better to change it

take care

hard drive 2

some times its shows in the bios but its media is damage so its show the size of your hard disk but it never go futher so its useless and never been repaired

Well.......

You shouldn't actually need a hard drive to get into the motherboard BIOS. So, if you force the board into BIOS, and still have no signal to the monitor, then either you have a bad video card or a DOA board. Although, sometimes the board will start looping (no boot agent ( something along that line)), if the Bios is set to the wrong HDD interface type.

Like Cap'n said, if you can't even get into the BIOS, then you probably have bigger problems than HDD failure, as you shouldn't need a harddrive plugged in for it to display the BIOS. In that case it could be either GPU, CPU or Mobo related.

Did this system ever work?

The system worked great until a huge storm went through. Unfortunately that was with the new motherboard in it. We have already put a few hundred dollars into trying to fix it since than. I hate not having my computer!

Okay, rants over. This is what we have done so far: Replaced the CPU & fan, replaced the power supply, took out everything except the essentials and tried it with bare bones (motherboard, CPU & fan, Power supply, memory, and hard drive), even tried all new cables. We are getting power to the motherboard since the CPU fan spins. We get power to the Hard drive, it just doesn't spin when plugged into the motherboard. Nothing shows on the monitor during any of this, it goes into sleep mode and stays there. I haven't tried to flash the CMOS and I don't know if my husband has tried that yet.

How do I get in to check the bios if I can't get a picture on the monitor?

Not getting an image on the screen when booting can be caused by many things like:

* Bad motherboard or CPU
* Bad GPU (obviously the first thing to check if you haven't)
* Forgetting to plug the 4-pin CPU-power connector into the motherboard
* Motherboard not recognizing the CPU (you will need another CPU and a new BIOS image to rectify this)
* Couple of other things, that I can't remember right now

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We have eliminated everything else so it has to be the motherboards. Luckily the new board is still under warranty so I will be getting it exchanged for another new board.
Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back