HARDOCP: DirectX 10 What it Is. What It Takes To Have It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirock

DirectX 10 & the Future of Gaming

How is DirectX 10 and its Unified Architecture going to benefit gamers? What is the gamer going to need to take and advantage of it? We recently sat down with ATI and talked about DirectX 10 and how their next generation desktop GPU will benefit. Article

Hmm, sounds like a huge investment. I'm getting a little tired of this hardware race, maybe my next gaming platform WILL be a console.

What no PC gamers here crying foul?

I thought this article might elicite a little more discussion. I am very not pleased that this next great evolution in graphics display will require a whole new OS installed and one that is just coming out. I'm not surprised of the video card evolution to support DX10, but installing a just released M$ OS is out of the question! :hotbounce

Cheers.

So say I just bought a 7900, thats not going to support DX10?

What a joke! Wii for me.

So when is DirectX 10 going to become commonplace? When are graphics cards that support this technology going to be released? Does this mean that gamers shouldn't buy pc's yet? It seems that there is always the suggestion, when someone says they are going to buy a pc in a while, to wait for dual-core processors, the next graphics card, or Conroe/AM2. At this rate, no-one will be buying gaming pc's because the technology becomes outdated so fast! Maybe there should be a law that developers/programmers aren't allowed to make significant improvements on their latest product for at least 2 years :D It would make me puke: to go and buy a whole new rig for about €2000, only for it to become outdated in a matter of months! Maybe Julio can make an announcement when the planets finally align, and there has never been a better time to buy a new rig. :haha: Seriously though it's a thought that annoys me. Ah well, at least there's PS3 and GTA4 forever...

The XBOX 360 uses ATI GPU technology and it is a unified architecture. Therefore ATI already has a 1st generation unified architecture GPU on the market. Obviously the XBOX 360 is ahead of desktop GPUs in terms of this technology.

ATI’s next generation desktop GPU will be a fully unified architecture. Since the XBOX 360 is ATI’s first generation unified architecture technology their next generation desktop GPU will be ATI’s 2nd generation unified architecture technology. That means ATI has taken what they learned from the XBOX 360 unified architecture and made improvements to create an even better unified architecture for the PC with their next generation desktop GPU.

The problem here is we have to buy a new OS and this new video card architecture at what price? When will these cards be available and when will the first games using the full Dx10 capabilities come out? I'm sitting on a purchase of a new video card waiting for the prices of a 7800GTX or a 7900GT to drop enough to justify buying two so I can go SLI and use this expensive feature of my mobo. Now this! Really maybe it's time to get off the PC gaming platform and wait for the next Xbox360..the Xbox720? How far away is that next generation gaming console?

Cheers.

I feel yea Kirock....

This is a very hard time to upgrade a PC. Were are in between major hardware (Conroeetc)/software (Vista DX10) platforms.

Me? I love the fact that things are moving ahead so quickly. I will install Vista on at least one of my computers as soon as it comes out, just to see what they have done with vista.

But I am not too worried about all this DirectX10 stuff. I tend to dish out the cash on things like that when I see that what I currently have can't do what I want it to do.

If an AMAZING game comes out that I really feel I want to try, only then will I consider doing a major upgrade on my system. Until that day, directX 10 is just something out on the horizon that people are talking about and has nothing to do with me.

As for the cost of it all? Well, people into PC gaming can't really be upset about price. It has NEVER been a cheap hobby. A system that will run the latest and greatest has always been expensive and always will be. Does that suck? Yes, but it is the nature of the beast, and maybe considerations of changing to console gaming are warranted for some people.

Me? I love upgrading and tweaking and can't wait until my system is so out of date that I get to build another! ;)

I feel the same with Don on the upgrading and tweaking part.

However, I'm sitting on a 4 year old computersaurus waiting for Conroe/DX10 to come out, and I'll then buy the latest and greatest. And then wait another 4 years before repeating.

Conroe seems like a good CPU to wait for, and my main dissapointment is that I've conpletely missed the phase where AMD is king, and thus the chance to own an AMD system.

I guess my problem is that I have yet to utilize the full potential of my current ( and relatively new) system by going SLI with 2 top graphics cards. Now when I do drop the cash I know from the second I turn them on they are out of date. I suppose I wouldn't feel so bad if I had spent this money on a grphics upgrade at least 6 months ago. I would have felt at least there was SOME time spent with the top of the line equipment.

Oh well, hopefully I can pick up a couple 7900GTs soon enough to get some bang for my bucks before DX 10 obsoletes all DX9.0c cards.

Cheers all.

not a problem.

Just send to me those obsolete 7900GTs to me once the DX10 cards come out. At least make someone happy :D

Geforce is going to release the Geforce 7950 GX2 next week. Does that make any sense then???

I have hear rumors that the new ATI GPUs could support DX10 with an Update.

BUt then agian i heard the same thing about Nvidia awhile back.

im good

as long as i still can play broodwar im fine no need to upgrade video card.
When starcraft 2 comes out u bet ur sweet @$$ i'll upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back