Hardware and OS issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
This could just as easily be posted in the Windows or Other OS folders, but since I suspect that it's a hardware issue, this seemed like the place to put it.

My wife got bit hard by the Linux bug, and decided to install Ubuntu on her system about 4-6 months ago. Since we have the "normal" sort of married relationship, she got the better hardware in her box (the specs escape me at the moment, my apologies), while I got stuck using the older stuff. We recently purchased her a laptop for work, and so I now have the ability to upgrade myself to her old system.

Here's the issue: merely switching hard drives with the same hardware earns me a strange sound from the drive and seeing a blue screen window flash onto the screen before the mobo reboots itself. I get an option to run the drive in Safe Mode, but to no avail, as the same whirring sound and blue screen error flickers on the screen too fast to see before rebooting again and again. The Ubuntu drive boots up fine with the same hardware, and the WinXP drive boots up fine with the old hardware, but despite flashing the BIOS and CMOS, nothing seems to work.

My only option at this point seems to be moving all the sensitive files off of the WinXP drive through our network to her laptop, and then to completely reformat both drives, as I'd like to use both in the finished setup.

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

If she had the "better" hardware and you had the "older stuff", then the hardware is not the "same", is it? If you move a Windows installation to a different chipset, then it happily BSODs.

Hardware is different, yes -- different CPU chipset generation (same manufacturer, for what little that matters), different motherboard, etc. If that's the problem, then it appears that there's a reformat in my future.

Funny how the obvious things are so easily overloooked. :suspiciou

Update: after a reformat and a little more self-educating, the drive was reformatted and works like a dream. A simple fix, but the advice was helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back