Hardware Boost for Hard Drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
PCWorld puts it into simple terms, they put a RAID setup in the test bench against single drives and see what the performance differences can get like.

Once reserved for servers and high-end workstations, RAID technology for linking multiple hard drives is gaining favor with PC users looking to improve performance affordably. Tests by PC World show they're on to something: Two RAID-connected drives completed some tasks in 40 percent less time than one drive of the same type.

Raid is faster but it is also riskier. in a raid O setup if one drive fails you lose all the data on both drives.

But if you can afford 4 drives, running RAID 0+1 should be both faster and safer... (since it's both striping and mirroring...)

I've never really gone for RAID 1. I would rather backup to another machine over a network connection, or to tape or something. My plans for 4 HDDs would be purely RAID 0.

Originally posted by iss
Raid is faster but it is also riskier. in a raid O setup if one drive fails you lose all the data on both drives.

I suppose.. But stastically, wouldn't your chances of 1 out 2 hard disks failing be the same as a single drive failing? :)

You wouldn't be putting yourself in more danger necessarily, since your chances of a failing drive and equally picked among both single and double drive setups. Yeah? :confused:

And if you do something wrong to your RAID setup (user error), corrupting your partitinos or whatnot - Would this have not happened to a single drive anyway... if you never had chosen to use RAID in the first place?

Allow me to hop into Phantasm66's time machine and find out...

I suppose.. But stastically, wouldn't your chances of 1 out 2 hard disks failing be the same as a single drive failing?

well I would actually feel more secure with two seagate drives in a raid 0 setup than I would with one IBM 60 Gb drive. :D

Techspot, Raid has always appealed to me....its just I've never really knowen how to set it up ;) I also think it would make a good article, please take this into consideration.
Thanks!

Originally posted by iss
well I would actually feel more secure with two seagate drives in a raid 0 setup than I would with one IBM 60 Gb drive. :D

Same here... :eek:

Originally posted by Rick
time machine and find out...

Always at your disposal....

tardis.gif

This may sound odd, but I swear that thing is larger inside than it is outside. ;)

BTW Agissi, if you use the SEARCH feature, you can find some great info here on RAID. At one time there was a Sticky post in Storage outlining RAID.

Originally posted by ---agissi---
Techspot, Raid has always appealed to me....its just I've never really knowen how to set it up ;) I also think it would make a good article, please take this into consideration.
Thanks!
I believe I'm the only one in the staff that runs a RAID-0 setup, so if enough people want it; sure I'll write an article on it...

I also have RAID-0, I think 1-2 other members might as well....

Stormbinger.....I think he has RAID-0???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back