Hardware for BeOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormBringer

I'm looking for a list of compatible hardware and drivers for BeOS R5. The site I used to help me the last time I set up a Be Box is no longer there. I've found some things but I still need to find drivers for my modem, DVD and CDRW. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, I've found everything but my modem now, guess I'll have to buy another one. I didn't plan to have it very long so I bought a cheap Intel V92. Was supposed to be getting cable but the cable company decided it was too expensive and not enough users to run it out here.

I recommend external serial modems, they should work with every operating system & computer.
Do you still need drivers for DVD & CDRW? Are they USB/FireWire?

got everything but the DVD now, don't think I'm going to find them but I'm not too concerned about it as I dont use the DVD much anyway.

I'm personally still stuck for drivers for my Aztech modem, as it was a dell OEM, so even Aztech can't give you any drivers, even 98, for it. I doubt i'll get it working

I believe it is a hardware one. All my previous modems had jumpers, or could have stuff soldered to them, so that they'd work on any OS, but this modem is protected by a big white plastic sledge over the electronics. Typical German effeiency!!

It's PCI forgot to say that. It came in a Dell Dimension Pentum III that broke down, so I salvaged iot for my own system, and XP had the drivers built in. BeOS's defaults don't seem to work at all for it. It is a standar V.90 modem, and my ISP supports any OS, including PalmOS 3.5, as i've got it to work!

It sounds like it is a winmodem because , a. you said it came in a Dell, probably the base option at the time right? b. the lack of jumpers(you didn't say if it had a removable IC on it but probably not)

I can't see thea boarxd, as it is covered in a big plastic block. The name is an :Aztech MDP3858-W Data Fax Modem, and the XP driver is a conexant (rockwell) one

If there's a "PCI device enumerator" for modem in XP's Device Manager, the modem is most likely winmodem and thus it won't work in BeOS. I've heard rumors that Lucent's winmodems do work but I'm not sure..

Originally posted by MYOB
I can't see thea boarxd, as it is covered in a big plastic block. The name is an :Aztech MDP3858-W Data Fax Modem, and the XP driver is a conexant (rockwell) one

"Aztech" says it all. 100% winmodem. Most of the ones I've seen are Rockwell HCF (Horrible chipset), which has many many problems in alternative operating systems. There's something just something about it that can't be supported apaprently...

I have a 3Com ISA Sportster 33.6, jumpers settable oin-board, knocking around somewhere. Will that work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back