Hardware Malfunction Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtrlAltDel

A few days ago, i was playing a game on my comp when suddenly a blue screen error came up stating:

Hardware Malfunction
The System Has Halted

i have never come across this error before during all the years i have played this game. i have upgraded my system to its current configuration of:

p4 2.0ghz
512mb ram
geforce fx 5500 128mb

i thought this may have been cause by a driver issue for one of my devices, buth i have them all updated. i ran virus, spyware, and harddrive scans, all of which did nothing to solve the problem.

Does anyone have any other ideas to prevent this error, i have never been plagued by it even with my past low-end hardware configuration.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

If that doesn`t help. Zip 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps together, and attach them here.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

i tried the given steps before posting.

also, what exactly is a minidump?

i see where they're located, and there are only 2 in the folder.

A minidump is a snapshot of what was happening when the computer crashed.

It may contain useful info as to what caused the crash.

Just zip the minidumps together, and attach them here.

Regards Howard :)

You will need to use a zip utility programme, suach as Winzip, or Winra.

Alternatively. You can change the file extension from .dmp to .txt, and then attach them.

I`ll then download them, and change the file extension back to .dmp.

Both minidumps crash at i81xdnt5.dll. This is part of your intel graphics drivers. Both minidumps have a bugcheck of EA.

0x000000EA: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

A device driver problem has caused the system to pause indefinitely (hang). Typically, this is caused by a display driver waiting for the video hardware to enter an idle state. This might indicate a hardware problem with the video adapter, or a faulty video driver.

As you can see. This is either caused by a faulty driver, or faulty video card.

Try uninstalling your video card drivers, and reinstall with the latest drivers.

Hopefully, that will solve your problem.

ok, thanks for narrowing it down.

you say it was caused by an intel display adapter driver?

that would mean it would relate to my integrated graphics, which i have disabled. could it still be causing this problem even if its disalbed -or- do i have to rollback/remove the drivers for the integrated display adapter?

If you`re not using you onboard graphics, then you should uninstall the drivers/software for it.

Check in your device manager, that your onborad graphics really is disabled.

there's no option for uninstalling the integrated drivers in add/remove programs, but it does exist in device mangager.

Then, uninstall it from there, and reboot your computer.

Then, go into your bios, and make sure that your onboard graphics is disabled there. In some bios`s if you set your graphics to the separate card you have installed. I.E agp. it will automatically disable the onboard graphics controller.

well, i uninstalled it and set the primary graphics adapter to be the one in the graphics slot.

however, when i reboot, windows auto-detects the new hardware(the integrated graphics) and automaically installs it and its drivers.

What mobo do you have?

If you look in your mobo manual. It should tell you how to disable the integrated graphics.

all i know is that ist a Brookings model mobo.

Board: Gateway Brookings
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0AAVIP13 04/19/2

i know how to disable, but i cant seem to uninstall it.

im assuming the only way to get rid of the drivers are to uninstall it, right/

CtrlAltDel said:
im assuming the only way to get rid of the drivers are to uninstall it, right/

Yes.

I can`t understand why you can`t disable it from bios.

Maybe some of our other members will have ideas about that, but I`m stumped.

i can disable it, just not uninstall it. im also able to set which display adapter to use upon boot-up, which is in my pci slot-rather than it starting up using the internal adapter.

Please HELP

Hi,

almost a year i can´t get off my PC the blue screen of death: Hardware malfunction....system has halted. Without any additional information i have to restart system, sometimes 5-6 times. I have read some threads about this problem, now I hope, I am at the right place and in good hands. Me and my friend, have changed HDD, Powersupply, RAM in my PC to find a reason. I have AMD athlon XP 1,5Ghz, 512RAM, 40GB HDD, LG DVD-RW, LG CD-RW. Have 2 USB slots, 1-Draytek modem, 2-USB Hub. I would appreciate very much your help, Last week I wasn´t able to work on my PC, because of this problem. Can you please have a look on my minidumps? I found 3 of them and renamed it to txt. maiki. Please any answer here or to my instant mail: mibartko@post.sk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back