Hardware Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

hynesy

Just recently I was using my other computer and it just randomly froze, I did a hard reset and it froze again as vista was booting. This isn't that first time this has happened, it happened once when I was running Hackint0sh on my custom PC but i thought it was just a kernel panic although that was the only time it happened. Anyway back to windows, it froze when it was under little or no load, then when I did a hard reset it wouldn't boot, but would freeze at different point of startup. I then proceeded to do a system repair, but the symptoms remained the same. Is this a hardware or software issue.
cheers
Hynesy

CPU - Pentium 4 3.00ghz
MoBo- Asrock P4i65G using Intel 865G chipset
Video - MSI NX6600 GT nVidia
HDD - 2 x WD cavier hard drives
PSU - stock

Hi Hynesy
looks like hardware to me and as the lockups are happening during the boot I wonder if you have a cooling problem? Check the fans are all clean and no dust bunnies blocking the vents in the PSU as well.

I checked the PSU, its clear of dust, and its not likely to be the heaksink because its a Thermaltake BigTyphoon 120 VX. Everything is the computer is under two years old except for the CPU which is about 5 years old, my guess is that its just had its time.

When you say "stock" PSU, does that mean it came with the case? If so, it might be failing. It would be worth checking.

Yeah, I checked it, against a high quality PSU, still had the problems. Doesn't matter now, I have ordered a new processor, ram and motherboard, I ordered the ram and motherboard because my old intel P4 runs on the 478 socket and no shop around here sells P4's anymore.

I would be more inclined to just check the memory with memtest first if you can. Bit late with that recommendation perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back