hardware/software firewall and virus prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.

davids

Hi,

I have a few questions about virus prevention and the use of firewalls. I currently have a software firewall running in windows (zonelabs). And a hardware firewall ie my router.

I was just wondering what are the differences between the two, and what threats each one can block.

Also, I wanted to know how effective a software firewall is: I know that it can block malicious ports, and it can block certain programs from accessing the internet. But what would happen if a virus infected a trusted program, for example outlook, and then outlook began accessing the internet on behalf of the virus? To make this point clear, I turned on my computer this morning and zonelabs gave me a message that outlook had changed, now since I wasnt aware that outlook had updated itself, ashould I asume that a virus has changed this program? Is this a likely event, and if so how do I find out if that is the case??

This is a subject that interests me and any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

First of all i think you have zone alarm correct? (good program). You should always keep it running, all firewalls pick up different things, some find files some dont. And If you think your programs may be infected by a virus you should scan your pc With a anti-vir

such as
housecall

avg (what i personally use)

thanks

I have avg as well, I havnt done a scan for a while so I will do that.

As for the firewalls, I am also using filseclab at the moment, which I really like - although I dont know that using 2 software firewalls gives any advantage??

thanks for the feedback anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back