Hassle connecting to wireless internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sappleton

I have recently setup wireless internet on my laptop but have found that everytime I want to connect to the internet I have to: -
1) click on 'view available wireless networks
2) change advanced settings
3) then tick the box saying "use windows to automatically configure my wireless internet settings

is there anyway of connecting automatically so I dont have to keep doing this everytime I connect? (the box unticks itself everytime I switch the computer off)

1) the signal strength is always 'excellent' above 90%
2) when the box is ticked the internet works everytime
3) I had this problem both before and after installed windows xp sp2
4) There is no firewall

If your wireless adapter has a utility, you can use it to configure the settings(ssid and encryption) or if you'd rather let Windows do it, make sure you remove the utility.
With some cards, its better to use their utility, with others you are better off using Windows.

you'll have to go into the control panel and find the screen that lists available wireless networks. select yours and add it to the 'preferred networks' box. this tells windows to look at the network in the 'preferred' box before any else, starting with the one on top. once done, it should hold itself...

zephead said:
you'll have to go into the control panel and find the screen that lists available wireless networks. select yours and add it to the 'preferred networks' box. this tells windows to look at the network in the 'preferred' box before any else, starting with the one on top. once done, it should hold itself...

its already a preferred network, the only 1 there

well if that and it';s associated checkboxed are fine, then i'd look elsewhere, like at the card's drivers. try updating them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back