Have I got iffy memory installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2pies

This morning had a look at the system properties thingy on my pc only to discover that it said I only had 512MB of RAM. It should have said 1GB, so I opened up the case and had a peek inside, both memory sticks looked like they were installed ok. I then carefully took both out and inspected them, they looked fine. After I re-inserted them both, closed up the case and rebooted, system properties reported that 1GB was again to be found. Could this be a symptom of failing RAM? Or as my pc was left on overnight, could it have just got too hot?

did windows report 512 mb of ram when you started it up that last time before you realise?

It occurs to me that if your machine suddenly dropped half its ram while running, windows would throw an absolute fit. Itd be enough even to panic Linux a little I would have thought.

It's more likelyu that you were running on half Ram when you booted, but hadn't noticed. This being the case it's probably a case of chip-creep (google it - nothing serious) or alternatively could simply have been bad seating in the first place. Sometimes bad seating isn't easy to spot first glance.

Anyway, it's running now so ity should be fine. Any worries and I would say that your best bet would be to run a 7 pass Memtestx86 test. If it passes there's nothing wrong with it :)

Totally agree with Spike, it's prob chip creep. I've had it happen to me on my previous PC many times for a few weeks right after installing the second stick. Finally it seated properly after several tries. Stupid RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back