Having a PSU always in standby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saiorse44

Hi All,
I am thinking of turning an older machine into a MythTV machine after some upgrades but i take it that to record programs, MythTV will need to pull itself out of standby.

If this is so, what are the implications and hazards of having the computer always in standby? The effects on power consumption...etc.

Also could you recommend a PSU to fit Micro-ATX that is ~250W (UK 230v mains type), and quiet as it will be used in my bedroom?

Have googled it but the only one i can find is at Maplin and that does not state the standby power consumption.

Many Thanks,
Rob

my rig has been on hibernate for nearly 3 weeks, untill recently when i went through some maintainance and modding which i switched it off. So in other words, it hasn't had a cold boot or restart since recently. Not much problems. However standby i never liked, since my system is in a half state of being off, yet fans and stuff still running (but with my laptop, it does a proper standby). See if your MythTV hibernates instead of being on standby. its better..

The only thing you have to worry about is programs hanging when it resumes from that state. Try using the standby feature to see if the system goes into half state or a full state of power down.. then try hibernate as well. note if any programs/combination of programs hang on resumeing as well. If it goes half state, then most likely fans and the mobo are still getting power, while drives and hdd are "turned off" so thats your main power drain in that state.

If you are planning quiet, dont forget to get a new silent cpu cooler if you still got a stock cpu cooler, and also clean your case from dust etc.. but i guess you'll be doing such when you upgrade.

Dont have specific PSUs to recomend, but get something like an Antec, Enermax, Coolermaster, Thermaltake, good quality, since you dont want the heart of your pc causing any problems too soon. Also use a calculator such as this to find your minimum power requirements. 250w may be not enough if you know what i'm saying, it just depends on what your setup will end up as.

Keep the pc nice and cool and all should be good. Post us the specs you have, and your proposed upgrades too =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back