Having issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Well, first off I'm new here so I want to go ahead and thank everyone in advance who offers me any help or advice on this. I'm about to go out of my mind. Here's the problem:

I'm trying to fix a friend's computer which runs an Abit KV7 mobo, with a Athlon XP 2400+, two sticks of Kingston KVR333 256mb ram, a Maxtor 40gb IDE HDD, and a GeForce FX500 128mb video card.
Also, it has a 350w power supply in it.

By everything I've checked, this should all be perfectly compatible, but when I power the computer on all it does is turn on. I get no sounds like the HDD is "thinking." The CDRom turns on, spins up, I hear it spin up, but I get no visuals on the screen from anything. The graphics card has a small fan on it, but that fan never comes on, like it's not being initialized.

This is what I've tried so far: I took the video card out and put it in my comp. It works just fine.

The Abit is SATA compatible, so I took my HDD and put on the mobo, and it still doesn't work.

I decided to check the power supply, so I took my 550w and put it in; computer does the same thing.

I don't believe it is the processor, but I'm not sure any more. All of the components that I listed above were originally running on anoter mobo (I forget the model now), and it basically died and started doing the same thing. I took out the processor that was in that mobo and put in the processor I have now (the 2400+) and it ran just fine for about 20mins. So we thought something might be wrong with the mobo, which is why we got the KV7.

See, I didn't have any signs that the processor had been burned up or anything. I'm just not sure what to think. I'm sorry about the length of this post, but any, any help would be so greatly appreaciated!!!

Thank you.

Nice to have another similar PC sitting by to help you test! Makes it so much easier.

Try resetting the CMOS. Hopefully that'll get you in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back