Having problems OC'ing my comp

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, i have just built my first comp, the specs are as follows

Intel 845PE asrock mobo
512MB 184DIMM PC2100 ram
GF FX5200 256MB DDR VO DVI AGP
P4 3.0 512Kb processor

Can any one suggest something i can do to stop the comp dying?

the blue screen of death apears and tell me that i have a memory error as windows boots up or when its running..............

i can run different freq. rates but windows wont start, at 200 i get 3.0/800 like i want, but windows stops loading/running and reports a memory error.

I have tried various setting for my ram but still nothing.

thnkas for any help btw

I wouldn't recommend PC2100 (ie. running at 133 MHz, or 266 if you count like that) if you want to run your computer faster than default speed. I'm not sure what kind of memory speed settings your mainboard has, if you can, set the memory speed to 133 and see if still refuses to work.

I'm wonderin if its an Intel 845? with a fsb of 800 maybe im wrong but i didnt think the 845 family suported 800 FSB.

upgrade you ram to ddr400. i bet that is the problem. i have tried to run pc2700 on a fsb 400 mobo and it didnt run really good, like blue screens and windows not loading.

Your CPU and Memory are probably running in sync. Read up on how to change that. You don't need to upgrade your memory if you don't want to, but I would reccomend it because running a 200MHz FSB with 133MHz Memory is a bottleneck.

Does the 845PE even support a 200MHz quad-pumped FSB?

i believe that the 845PE has a quad-pumped 133 MHz FSB (533 MHz).

pc2100 is 266 MHz DDR. the 266 MHz DDR is just 133 MHz x 2 for the ram. if you are overclocking your current system, you are likely to run into stability problems since your ram is only rated at 266 MHz DDR. when you increase your FSB, your ram is running out of specification, which can cause a lot of issues.

get faster ram if you are going to overclock your current system. if you have a P4 3.0 C, you may want to get a newer board since you are limiting the fsb of your cpu.

vehementi, the 845PE does support a 800 MHz FSB CPU (200 MHz x 4) but it will limit it to a 533 MHz FSB CPU (133 MHz x 4).

thanks guys.

i was reading the mobo website (www.asrock.com) and it says its cappible of over clocking to 3.0 ghz and 800fbs so i think ill just upgrade the ram.

>.< ive got alot to learn.......

Im making a newer sytem in about 3 months, gonna try and make a monster sytem for about £600 (thast what this ystem cost me). Im a big game so speed and ram are important(mmorpg's)

Any suggestions on what setups to get with £600 will be greaty appreciated =+)

Thanks for your time, Dinvan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back