Having problems trying to install Win XP Pro x64 - How to check for corrupted CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ckorban

I get my files off msdn and burn them onto CDs/DVDs to use. For some reason, this is giving me the biggest heartache ever. My laptop's CD burner is busted it would seem, since there's a 1 in 5 chance that the CD would actually read after burning, but thats not the problem, I managed to use two different computer to burn. I checked the Hash for the download and it seemed fine, and my main questions is this: Is there any way to check the burned CD for any corruption?

Thanks a lot,
Chris

Another question, could I be getting these "file was corrupted" or not copied correctly due to hardware issues possibly but not only ram and HDD?

1st question, no I don't think so, your hash check is all I know of how to do. I'd enable the verify after burn on whatever burning program you are using, but beyond that I don't know.

2nd question, yes, don't think it would be your hard drive because I'd guess your hash check would have failed. RAM I would think the same thing.

If you verify the disk after burning and it comes up clean then I don't know what to tell you, perhaps someone else can suggest something. Have you tried burning at slower speeds or on different brand media?

Thanks for the reply,
I have done the verify after burning and the slowest speed possible, I have not tried different media yet (i just did right now and will try it again when i get home), but I have tried at least 7 CDs and DVDs to no avail... I'm not computer-illiterate but things like this make me wonder

Also, could you please rephrase your answer to the 2nd question? I didn't fully understand... could it be that its telling me its corrupted when it copies temp files onto the harddrive (I'm not even sure it does that) or maybe something with RAM since I was getting random crashes before I decided to reinstall?

I was just saying that yes you could get them due to hardware issues but that I didn't think it would be RAM or HD because it would have failed the hash check. If it doesn't fail the hash check the file on your HD is good. If it passes verification after the burn (where I believe it just compares burned data to source data) then that is good too.

Which lead me to ask about burn speeds and media.

I'm using other systems to burn and hashcheck, currently my desktop which is what i'm trying to format has no OS on it.

After about 5-6 more burns and attempted installs, i see that it is always getting stuck trying to copy win32k.sys, any ideas? I'm now resorting to installing vista to see what happens...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back