Having trouble with new build, can't proceed to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I am having a very confusing problem.

I just finished putting together a gaming rig, now for the confusing part: I can't get a PS2 or USB keyboard to work on the post screen to enter the bios most of the time. I have gotten the PS2 keyboard to work a few times from restarting the system a multitude of times, I have been able to alter the bios these few times but it will not work after I have saved and exited the bios.

Twice I have gotten past this problem, but the system would not boot, it would just restart automaticly and throw me back to post with a non-working keyboard.

My question I guess, is there anything I can do to make the PS2 or USB keyboard work consistantly in post/bios?

I'll list my specs now:
XFX nForce 680i LT SLI mobo
Intel E6660 Quad core cpu
OCZGX 850 wat PSU
2x evga nVidia 8600 GT 256mb DDR3 PCI-E cards in SLI
Corsair 2gb DDR2 Twin2X matched XMS2 ram

I have made sure everything is connected properly and that the mobo is not grounded on the case(properly fit with spacers/risers) and have tested all parts, everything seems to be in working order besides the keyboard not working 90% of the time in post.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Can you try another PS/2 keyboard to rule out that as the problem? If a second PS/2 keyboard behaves the same way, it would seem the fault lies with the motherboard, specifically PS/2 circuit.

I have tried 5 different PS2 keyboards, I'm fairly sure it's not the mobo either.

I've found that if I leave the computer off for 30mins + when I boot it up the post completes and I can use the keyboard to enter the bios and such. I know its not overheating, temp stays at about 23c and everything is nice and cold. Can't for the life of me figure out why leaving it off for a set time would allow me access after post.

I was trying to fix the problem before I tried to reinstall the OS, as I don't really want to wait 30+ mins to use the computer every time I turn it off and on heh, but I think I'll just attempt to anyway.

Here is how far my post screen gets before stopping unless I power off the computer for the 30+ mins:

(6A61IR03) Release Number 721N1P05
NVIDIA BIOS Version: 2.053.91
Main Proccessor: Intel (R) Core (TM)2 Quad CPU 2.40Ghz(266x9.0)
Memory Testing: 2096128k OK
CPU Brand Name Intel (R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40Ghz
C1E BIos Supported
EM64T CPU

I am having almost the exact same problem. Both my keyboard and mouse are USB, and I tried to use a PS/2 keyboard (2 different), with and without a USB and PS/2 mouse. I haven't made it to the BIOS screen even once. MB reads 52, Virtual Memory Test, but the remedies are in BIOS, which I cannot access, obviously. Funny thing is that the keyboard and mouse are both illuminated, so I know something is happening between the MB and the two devices. It seems as though the screen is frozen. Furthermore, I cannot just press the power button to turn it off. Occasionally the MB will read 4E, which I assume means that it hasn't made it to 52 yet, and I can power off without cutting the power. In this case, "C1E..." is not displayed, as it hasn't even counted the memory yet.

Q6600 Intel Core2 Quad @ 2.4 GHz 775
4 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2
EVGA nVidia 680i SLI (122-CK-NF68-T1)
EVGA 8800GTX nVidia etc.

The only thing I can think of is that there is some sort of compatibility issue between the video card and the rest, but I don't think there is an issue. 8800GTX can function with DDR2, not just DDR3...???...???

If you have any luck figuring out the problem, let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back