HD crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I bought a hard disk last week, it was broken, so I brought it back and got a new one, a few posts later, here I am again. I did a clean install of XP on the new hd and made it the first hd in my bios.
After I was done installing all my software and stuff I noticed a few weird folders on my old hd, which was now the passive, second hd. These files looked like:
MSI*****.tmp (*=random looking numbers and letters)
When I wanted to put off my pc last night, I had a warning that a portion of that hd was faulty or corrupt or something and when I put on my pc this morning it automatically went into chkdsk and started to rewrite the disk on several places. Now I have lost many of my data and also a part of the old hd. It still sez there is 85 gb free space left on p, this is the exact amount as before, but the folder that's gone was about 60gb, so where did that 60 gb go to? Is this a hd crash or something? I am having suspicions about windows restore having something to do with it. Like that the old windows is also trying to make restore points or something. Anyway, should I format this disk or what?
I stopped the chkdsk utility because for about 10 minutes it repeated:
writing 0 at 12999 or something like that. What the heck is going on?

yes it sounds like there are some errors on the old hard drive, probably nothing to do with windows restore.

if 60gb of data has gone missing then windows is probably reporting the size of the drive incorrectly now.

I would try running the check disk again on the drive - run it at a time when you can leave it running for a good few hours if nesesary.

If that completes then hopefully the errors will be fixed. if not, then probably move all your data from it to the new hard drive, then do a full format on the old hard drive - this will wipe it clean and also running a disk check at the same time.

As for the folder thats gone missing, you have quite possibly lost this folder. the only option may be to run data recovery on it.

boncuk, I work on systems, cleaning up virus issues that "to the individual", seem to come out of nowhere. If I can make a suggestion, download/install AVAST HOME EDITION if possible, which will do a full BOOT scan in case this "re-writing" is OTHER than hardware issues. I always figure Better Safe Than Sorry.
Good Luck.

I don't think at this point any thing above will get your data back
you can try to fix the MBR that got messed up
chkdsk I have seen mess up like this
you need to not write to drive get a data recovery software and get you data back
file scavenger , O&O data recovery and getdataback for ntfs are all good softwares high success rates on recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back