HD crashing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

wiscountryboy

I have a maxtor 160gb that is about 2 years old now and when i boot up in bios it used to say Maxtor 6Y160P0 and move on to the other ide channles but recently it sometimes says Maxtor 6Y160P0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YAR41BW0 and then it wont get past the next screen where it tells me how big the HD is and all the info about everything on my computer.
This just recently started after i installed a new PSU and a Geforce 6600GT so i swaped out the psu's thinking it was a power failure or something but it still sometimes came up with the name with all the exclamation points

like i said before that the longer name doesnt always come up but when it does i cant boot to xp and i have fixed that problem by unplugging the PSU from the wall outlet for about 5 minutes

so if anyone knows if my HD is gettin ready to crash or if its just my new vid card or what plez let me know

Download and run the Powermax utility from Maxtor to diagnose your hard drive. It could also be a controller/cable issue - put the drive on the other IDE cable in place of the CD-ROM drive and see how things go then.

alright...i have already run the powermax tests and all were passed....but on thing i failed to mention before was that i have fixed the problem by formatting my hard drive with maxblast 3 (the bundled software that came with my drive) and i did format today and i am loaded up with XP home edition and next time i will give that new cable a try

Thanks

I got windows 98 loaded on the drive, but i could not get xp loaded because it keeps hanging up in the same spot..... anyway i am getting a replacement from Maxtor (drive is under warranty yet) so ill give that a try

I was considering just ditching that and getting sata because i have 2 sata headers on my mobo but ive never done sata before and have read a lot about it, so if someone speaking from experience could tell me if i can load up windows 98 on a sata drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back