HD Enclosure Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings all,

I recently purchased what I thought was a external HD at a garage sale. Guy wanted ten for it although it didn't have a power cord. He said it still worked but he couldn't find a replacement. I thought I could. I guess I can't. Two months later I am still looking. I do have some new information though. What I thought was a 80GB Samsung external drive turns out to be a HD in an enclosure. So now I am trying to identify the maker of the box so I can buy a replacement power cord. Also I have a second question about the drive inside.

Question 1. I have taken pictures of the enclosure for id purposes. They are in a zip file and weigh 60 Kb. Is it ok to attach them here? Or should I post them individually? I would like to post them to see if someone can tell me who made it or what kind of power cord it needs.

Question 2. I opened the box and took the drive out to see if it would work in a pc. it spins up and is recognized by winxp but when I click it it tells me it is not formated. I was reading around this forum and found some directions to see if a drive is active. go to My Computer->Manage->Storage->Disk Management and look in there. I did look in there and it says the drive is online and it also says that its capacity is 31.5 GB and the drive lable says it is a 80 GB. does that mean that there is something on it taking up 31 GB. How do I see what this stuff is?

So those are my questions. Sometimes I am not very clear about things so if you need clarification please ask and I will supply.

Thank you all in advance for your time in this matter.

Alex

What kind of a power connector is it? You may be able to patch together one your own. Finding a dual-voltage (12V and 5V) portable power supply maybe a bit difficult though.

If there are no markings on the box, then you may be able to find something on the PCB inside.

The hard drive may be jumpered to 32GB. See the drive label for any jumper settings.

looks german
power plug is odd multi taps maybe got a fan in it

gonna have fun with this one

The Insides...

I took pics of the inside also. It does have a fan. I can see no manufacturer markings aside from the generic ones on the fan and the board.

Again Thanks. I really appreciate any time you would spend on this.

Alex

I looked at the drive and nothing I can see aside from the standard master/slave stuff.

The power plug is mini-DIN. It does exepect both 12V and 5V inputs. You can chop off the plug from a PS/2 mouse or a keyboard and use that to make your own power supply. The wiring in the plug is most certainly non-standard so you'd have to do some careful detective work with an ohmmeter to make sure you don't fry anything :)

I seriously doubt you can find the original PSU from anywhere. Even if you find out the make and model of this enclosure, it is unlikely that the power supplies would be sold separately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back