HD is shown as slave in BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have one HD in my computer. It is a Seagate 100G and came with the computer. I reinstalled Windows and computer worked and restarted. The next day when I turned computer on it showed nothing as Master. In the BIOS it showed the drive as slave. I manually entered the drive into the Master in the BIOS, but without success. This happened once before. Both times I had removed the HD and reinstalled it. The last time I turned off the switch in the back of the machine, and the next day it booted normally. Now it continues to show it as slave, and obviously Windows cannot load.
Does anyone have any clue as to 1) Why this happens and 2) how can I fix it.

Thanks

nsheff@aol.com

First, it absolutely doesn't matter if your drive is master or slave. Both devices are equal in every respect on an IDE channel, only difference is that BIOSes and operating systems enumerate master devices first.

Your hard drive appears as slave either because of its position on the IDE cable or a jumper setting on the drive.

Thank you Nodsu for your information. Since my jumper was on the right pins and there was no change on the IDE cable, I still do not know why this happens. What I did was disconnect the drive (once again) replace the old jumper with a new one, and after rehooking and restarting the computer it registered as Master again. I don't know whether it was the dis- and re-connecting or changing the jumper but it is now working again.

nsheff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back