Hd Led

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobMan

Has anyone ever bought a motherboard and the HD LED didn't work? I know what you're thinking.....check the connection. I did...a hundred times. I know that part is right. If you connect it one way, it does nothing. The other way, the light just stays on. It's an Abit KR7A-133R by the way. Is there anything I can do about this without sending the motherboard back or am I stuck with it? I know it sounds petty but I use the HD Led and would like it to work. Thanks.

Hope I'm reading your post correctly, you're trying to connect the LED from the casing to the connector on the mobo rite?

Could it be the LED in the casing that's faulty? Try using another LED e.g. the reset LED and see whether it works or not.

Good response. I should of been a little more detailed. I also pulled an HD LED out of an old machine and plugged it up. It does the same thing. That's what makes me think it's the motherboard. Thanks.

Is there a possibility that you have the led plugged in backwards on the mobo? Its just a shot but Ive done it before..

And to add to what SVT said, not only backwards but often you may plug some pin headers in parallel to the pins and sometimes perpendicular. And in some cases, any companation of the two on the same board. Look in the manual and make sure it is plugged in with the correct orientation. It may go up and down, or side to side.....hope this helps :)

Are you sure you're plugging the LED into the right pins on the sysbo? It may be a completely different one. Look in your sysbo manual and find the layout of LED and switch pins. Make sure your LED is plugged into the IDE activity or HDD pins.

I know it's easy to make a mistake when plugging these in but I'm sure it's plugged in the right way. If you plug it in the right way, it just stays lit. No activity whatsoever. Plug it in the other way just to make sure, and no light at all. Thanks for the replys.

Originally posted by RobMan
I know it's easy to make a mistake when plugging these in but I'm sure it's plugged in the right way. If you plug it in the right way, it just stays lit. No activity whatsoever. Plug it in the other way just to make sure, and no light at all. Thanks for the replys.

WAIT A SEC, the POWER light is suppose to be on ALL the time (with system on) the HARD DRIVE light only comes on when the hard drive is seeking or writing. As I write this, I have NO hard drive light. Please check your connections, you aren't trying to connect the HARD DRIVE light to the POWER pins are you ??

No, what I'm talking about is my HD LED. My power light is fine. It stays on all the time like it's suppose to. My HD LED stays on all the time too. That's what the problem is.

Originally posted by RobMan
No, what I'm talking about is my HD LED. My power light is fine. It stays on all the time like it's suppose to. My HD LED stays on all the time too. That's what the problem is.

Mabee your just such a busy guy the hard drive is always working. ;)

Well you have me stumped, I know you have probably answered this but I am gonna ask anyway. Have you checked the pins ? I mean are you Sure you have the right ones ? I had an Asus A7V board and the hard drive light pins where actually not part of the same pin header that the rest of the lights and switches where, they where off by themselfs.....just another tougth....Good Luck

Thanks boeingfixer for the responses. I had a motherboard like that too. The HD LED was on a seperate part of the motherboard. Unfortunately, this motherboard isn't like that. The motherboard has worked flawlessly except for this little problem. I would hate to have to take it out, pack it up and send it back just because the HD Led isn't working right. But I need that to work. Thanks again.

Now that doesn't make sense to me. If its for sure the right one, and reversing it doesn't help, I am at a total loss as to why it will light up contunously but not the other way... ???

Originally posted by Phantasm66
The HD Led on my case has NEVER worked with any motherboard. It must just not work at all.

Mabee you don't know how to hook yours up either....

JUST KIDDING.....BIG SMILE ;)

Originally posted by boeingfixer

Mabee you don't know how to hook yours up either....

JUST KIDDING.....BIG SMILE ;)

Heheheh, hardly....

I think it just basically doesn't work.

lol, i dont really know if it works or not, as i do not care whether or not a light shows me if my hd is working. If my hd isn't working, then i see nothing, if it is, then i see the mouse moving in front of me. I think a blinking light would annoy me actually, and i do not tolerate annoyances. haha I really wouldn't worry about a hd light working or not, its more for looks than any function.

NOthing wrong with mobo nor HDD. For some reason a friend of mine has this also. The light just stays on. I think the OS (Windows) is actually the culprit. Guess there is always some activity, knowing windows is very hdd intensive. I don't think there is an actual solution.

You don't have an extra IDE ATA or RAID chip?

Guess there is always some activity, knowing windows is very hdd intensive. I don't think there is an actual solution.

Could be this too, my HDD LED blinks about every 2 seconds, even
when the hard drive has spinned down and computer is in suspend.

LED being on all the time is weird though...

What if you connected the LED to the drive itself (if it happens to have a LED connector, of course)?

OS drivers do cause IDE controllers to behave oddly at times.
LEDs are usually connected to pin 39 and ground in IDE connector, no. 39 being /ACT, ie. activity. A low level on this pin indicates that the IDE device is busy. A skilled person could connect a LED directly to this pin and ground. But is it really essential, after all? You can usually hear hdd/cd-rom activity.
Oh, I forgot to mention that pin 39 is also used for "Slave present", I'm not sure if/how it affects LED blinking.

Thanks Mictlantecuhtli for the reply. I never knew that. Don't think I'll try it because it's really not that important. It really bothered my conscience more than anything else. I do appreciate the info though.

me too

I have this same problem you are describing. It sucks. I also have an iomega 100mb zip drive. When I unplug this the problem goes away, so I am led to believe you must have a zip also. Am I correct? If you find the solution, please let me know.

On a somewhat funny note, of all the motherboards I have purchased, many of them did not work properly with the HDD LED in the positions defined on the manual... after simply tinkering around with the position of it, including moving it to other pins, I've always gotten it to work eventually. Maybe it is a common manual misprint?

Thats exactly what happened to me. My Asus A7V8x manual was rong...well after screwing around for litterly 2 hours, I got it to work. Its just a matter of every combination, everywhere :D

HD LED Staying lit

I also heard that the IDE LED can stay lit with certain brand names of CD-RW drives. Try experimenting by disconnecting the CD drive and see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back