HD Temperature Problem!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fajoo24

Hello everyone,

Well i have recently bought WD Cavier SE16 250gb sataII 16 mb cache Harddrive (i am using it at 150 mb/s i.e @sataI). The problem is that the temperature of harddisk is pretty high i.e it starts from 48 degrees celsius and goes upto 64 degrees. It then stops at 64 degrees never goes down or up then this temp. no matter if the system is idle or in some use.

I have recently installed an 80 mm fan below the harddisk that is pushing air towards the hd controller below the harddisk, it has reduce the temperature quite a bit but it is still pretty high i.e now the temperature remains max at 55 degrees but then again it never goes up or down then 55 (i have seen that the max temp. for this hd is 55 degrees). I would also like to mention that this is happening when we have winter season here and the atmosphere is pretty cold itself.

I would also like to inform that i have checked temperatures with speedfan, hd tune, everest and few other softwares and they all give the same readings. One thing that i dont understand is that when i touch the harddisk i can easily do it, it doesn't feel hot, but temp. reading shows as 55 degrees. Could it be the problem with the sensor???

Please tell me what should i do, should i keep using hd at this temperature or what should i do??? btw my rest system specs are as follows:

Amd Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 754)
Asus K8N motherboard
768 mb ram ddr400
Inno3d 7600 gs 256 mb agp gpu

Regards.

no one is willing to help me :( :(

It is normal for hard drives to run very hot. The official ambient temperature maximums are between 50 and 60 degrees. The PCB-level temperature reported by SMART may be even higher.

Edit: After reading some Seagate manuals, it looks like the actual hard drive case temperature limit is ~10 degrees above ambient max.

u mean that if speed fan is showing the temp. to be 56 degree celsius thn actually it is 46????? n does it mean i dont have to worry???

No, its not 10 less than speedfan is reporting. If you can't get the drive any hotter than it is idling I'd say its a sensor problem. But I also wouldn't worry about hard drive temperatures, people become so fanatical about temps when in reality they don't matter much. If you went as far as putting a fan blowing on it you've done plenty. Ignore the temps and carry on like normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back