HD unrecognized, DVD/RW now too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thmandan22

What happened before : https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic24891.html

Now it wont recognize the harddrive in the BIOS. The HD makes a clicking noise also. It also can no longer boot from CD because the CD/dvd-rw is shown as a bunch of weird charactors and symbols. It is like the whole computer is in a downward spiral. I would like to now where the problem exists. Is it how the HD and DVDRW are configured. A virus? is it something on the mobo messing up my HD and DVD drive. Kinda weird how the problem now is starting on the dvdrw drive. Is this the kind of stuff that occurs because of a boot sector virus? Any help appreciated, Im totally lost.

Are the DVD and the HD on the same IDE cable? If yes then it is one of them being dead. If not then your IDE controller is bust - get a new motherboard or buy a(n) (S)ATA controller card.

I'd also be carefull, if you HDD is clicking, you may want to take it out and test it on a known good machine.
Above normal clicking noise isn't a software issue. If Nodsu is right, it could be your HDD causing the issue.

I think you hit it. So logically the HD that is maing clicking sounds must be busted (master). and the sony DVDRW (slave) is getting messed up becuase of that and as a result is shown as a bunch of weird charactors and will not operate. So, Im guessing that if i remove the busted HD then set the Sony DVDRW to master I will be able to boot from CD/DVD? Help me out if Im on the wrong track.

Nodsu said:
Are the DVD and the HD on the same IDE cable? If yes then it is one of them being dead. If not then your IDE controller is bust - get a new motherboard or buy a(n) (S)ATA controller card.

Kudos to Nodsu! You where 100% correct! After I removed the HD from the master position and took it out of the box, I could mysteriously load an ubuntu live cd OS. Just want to say thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back