HDD issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

NV30

OK here's the scoop. I installed a new 40GB 7200rpm Maxtor HDD to supplement my current one. I installed XP on the new drive, works like a charm. Now what I'd like to do is to format the other drive, set the Maxtor as master and use the old drive for backup. The only problem is that when I set the Maxtor drive to master, I get something like an ntldll error on startup and can't boot into Windows. They both have XP installed on them. If I formatted the other drive and set the Maxtor drive to master, would I be able to boot into Windows off of it?

Sorry for the long post :eek:

You'll not be able to do what you say without a bit of work... XP installs an OS loader onto the bootsector on your primary master disk... Without this, XP won't load...

You should be able to "fix" this by moving boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect.com to the Maxtor hdd...

If that doesn't work (I can't remember if there is something else you should do when copying those files), try this:

from Techspot's dual boot guide by TS|Thomas:
1. Start your system & enter the BIOS. Set the BIOS to Boot from floppy or CD. Preferably you should use your Windows 2000 CD rather than the Startup disks as it is a lot faster. Save the changes & Reboot your system.

Boot up using the Windows 2000 Startup Disks/CD. Once the Menu has loaded take the following steps.

Press the R key, Repair a Windows 2000 installation.

Select C next, To repair a Windows 2000 installation by using the Recovery console.

Next select the Windows 2000 installation you wish to repair (Obviously you’ll only have 1) & enter in the Administrator password when prompted.

Now type in fixboot & hit Enter

Hope this helps you out :)

Even when enabling "Show All Files" you have to untick the "Hide Syetm Files" option.

They should be on the first partition of your first hard drive, commonly known as C: for windows users.;)

oops - forgot there were 2 things you had to enable - but then again it was 2:55 am when I posted that and had been out all night.

Those files are not the bootloader, they handle post bootloader. The NT bootloader is installed either onto the MBR of the disk or the boot sector of the first partition.

SH,

So what files would I copy? I tried their suggestions and it told me that the OS failed to load.

Thanks

Once the files are copied to the new partition, you still have to activate that partition in order to make it bootable.

You'll also have to edit the BOOT.INI file so that the XP line reads like this :

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect

BTW the Microsoft Windows XP can be edited so I know what HDD I'm booting off of, is this correct?

Thanks once again

You can change the "Microsoft Windows XP" to "Mama's Home Made Cooking" if you feel like it, it won't affect anything.;)

Now to use drive C as a backup (new one is on D, wonder if I can change it without having to change all the program paths) I want to format it. Could I just erase all the files that are hidden or visible?

OK, we need a recap here.;)

You've moved your OS to your new drive which is now the master drive. In this case, we'll refer to this partition as C:.

The previous primary partition should now be known as D:. Is this the drive you want to format ? You can moves programs that are installed on it with an Utility such as Powerquest Drive Mapper. It will move the programs & change all the references to the new location.

Am I making any sense here ? :confused:

No sense at all. ;) I've had the OS installed on D now, the backup drive is C, but I don't think it's possible to change the drive letter without reinstalling all my programs. Created a partition on drive C called G for backup, I may move my files that I need to backup, format D so it's on C and transfer my files back. Then I'll install XP on drive D (drive letter changed) so I can have a backup if I can ever not start Windows., and make a partition on drive D for backup at around 10GB in size or so. Maybe it's not worth doing all this, I'll consider it.

Originally posted by NV30
SH,

So what files would I copy? I tried their suggestions and it told me that the OS failed to load.

Thanks
This is the procedure for creating a new partition boot sector to the system partition, if you are still interested.
Put the WinXP CD in and reboot, go to the Recovery Console:
Once console is loaded, enter this command FIXBOOT C:(where C: is the hard disk drive where WINDOWS XP is installed).

For more info on this you can find it here

I would also recommend that you set up several partitions, one for OS and maybe programs you will never want to uninstall, one for the Pagefile, one for Apps, one for games, one for CD assemblies for burning, one for media(video and music) and one for data. You could combine some of these or have even more if needed. This is just an example of possibilities. The main thing is that it keeps all your data safe in the event of a terminal OS problem. It also reduces fragmentation and helps reduce clutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back