HDDs only showing half the storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK here's what i did:

i built a new computer. i used my old hd(60gb) and put in a new one (250gb). i did not want to buy a new copy of windows so i used my compaq windows os disc and bought the upgrade with service pack 2 included. everything installed and works. both my hd's show up, but they only are showing half the storage space, ie 60gb shows 30gb and 250 shows 125. i'm not connected to the internet yet and windows keeps prompting me to activate windows. could that be the problem or am i just a little messed up.

tried updating with windows update? (i guess not since no i.net connection.. sorry)

may also want to look into teh reg key for enabling large hdd sizes?

first this (new machine )
did you change the motherboard
or are you talking bout the drives
is the larger drive the boot drive
did the upgrade get installed yet?
did you delete the old OS
did you try and delete it and do reformat?
don't expect an oem to take an upgrade I don't think that is allowed
should have checked with M$ on that one
some will take upgrade if you make some id changes but that is illegal
magor oem's are setup to look for the MB bios if it not found your ativation key will not work
xp pro spk 1 will not see disc over 137gb
not sure why the other disc is is showing up that way unless it is a security posession setup

When you format a NEW LARGE HD... it will ask you if you want to USE ALL the HD.. this requires you FORMAT it TWICE... (make sure you READ the instructions when you FORMAT). You can also use Partition Magic 8.X to correct the Small reported size of Large HD's...and do lots of other stuff.

You should double-check in registry just in case Windows hasn't bothered to enable large disk support: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters\EnableBigLba value should be 1.

There is also a sticky at the top of this forum on the 137 gig barrier and what to do about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back