HDs with 02 MB & 8 MB memory cache... Is there significant difference??

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklogus

I am going to buy a new HD for my PC (probably one ATA 133, 120 GB, 7200 rpm), and I would like to have some help about one doubt I have: Is there sensible difference in real world between HD's with 2MB OR 8 MB memory cache ?? I like to play racing games, so my question is if there is some performance gain using HD with 8 MB Buffer ...
Here, in Brazil, the Hd's with 8MB Memory cache are around 25% more expensive. Does it worth to pay more to get it??
Thanks a lot in advance for any help!!

Whether it's worth it or not would depend on what you will use it for, if its just to store small files that you won't be accessing much, prolly not. However, if you will be using it as a primary drive with the system partition on it, or if you'll be putting files on it that are large and/or being frequently accessed, yes there is a signifigant difference, enough that I see it as being worth the price difference.

Difference? Not much.

But 8MB cache is pretty standard. Often times they are the same price or only a couple of dollars more than 2MB buffer models.

Thanks for your opinion, buddies!
Its hard to find some information about storage devices, so, the link that you have informed for me was VERY USEFUL !!
THANKS A LOT again !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back