Headphone jack won't work on dvd burner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new external IOMagic dvd burner. It is an external unit with 2.0 connection. The unit works fine and the PC speaker system plays great. Only thing is I like to watch movies at my computer and listen with headphones. The dvd burner has a headphone jack right on the front of the unit, but it doesn't work. Have tried two different headphones that I know work. Please help.
Thanks,
gary

in Xp the sound goes thru the PCI Bus. and your dvd burner has no built in sound capabilities just a jack that if it were connected to and IDE port would be able to transmit sound from the soundcard.

Did you make sure the volume on the drive is turned up?

Edit: never Mind disreguard having a brain fart.

The volume control in control panel, the volume control under "sound" in control panel and the units volume control is turned all the way up and down with no difference. I also have two internal cd drives and I found out that the headphone jacks on them don't work either. My soundcard is a Creative AWE64 16-bit Audio (SB 16 Compatable) WDM. My usb connection from the dvd burner to a 2.0 usb port seems to be working because there is excellent sound from the desktop speakers.
Is there anything I can try to see what is working and what isn't?
I am not sure what to try concerning the PCI bus thread.

I haven't really figured it out myself but on a couple of Dells I have it depends on which audio player software I use that determines whether I can use the phone jack on front of the optical drive. On one, the factory preinstalled Musicmatch would allow me to use the jack but after reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling a different version of Musicmatch, it no longer works and I haven't figured out how to enable it. Creative's audio player doesn't seem to work in this regard. So I know it can be done but I can't tell you how. Not yet anyway.

BTW, that's just for CDs. I know it doesn't directly address your DVD question but perhaps it is similar.

Late response, but...

I just joined techspot today. I had the same problem. I tried different players, Realplayer, MS, ITunes... Then I noticed the play/pause button on the front of both my DVD and CD drives. If you play the disk using just that button (if you have it), the headphones work along with the speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back