Headphones Buzzing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Tech People:

New to the boards, and I plan on becoming a regular, so let's start off with this question, since I can't figure out what the heck is wrong. Basically, I just installed a new mobo (Asus K8N-E Deluxe), new CPU (Athlon 64 3400+), and new graphics card (Geforce 6800 GT). Suffice, pretty good upgrades and everything is working pretty well. However, one thing: my headphones, when plugged into my Logitech 5.1 speaker setup (the separate volume control thing), give me a nice buzz sound, sort of like feedback. It fades as I move away from my computer, and gets louder when I touch the mouse and move near more electronic equipment. I tried plugging the speakers into different outlets and things like that, but nothing. The only way to get the buzz to stop is to actually turn off the speakers from the woofer. Just turning them off at the control knob does nothing. I am lost. The speakers work fine when the headphones are not installed, and the headphones work in other things, such as my TV/Xbox pairing. No buzz there. Any advice? Is my mobo grounded properly, and if not, how do I fix? :confused:

Thanks!

Glad to hear you want to stick around.
Is that "seperate volume control knob" on the sub woofer or an expansion slot on the Case?

Maybe take a close look at the cable of the Microphone, Buzzing is more of a grounding issue(loose/reversed wire)make sure there is no loosness at the terminals and up at the earphone end,or cuts in the wire.
Confirm all sound connections are correct and seated well especially inside the case to Mb connections.
The only way to confirm for motherboard grounding is to strip everything (except maybe the CPU) and put thin plastic washers under and over the mounting blocks and screws(pain in the rump job) .You might be able to see visably if something is touching improperly or out of alignment ,but that is iffy.
Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I had my mobo installed at a recent computer show (they offered), so I said why not, and upon looking at the thing, I notice that they did not put all the screws into it. Basically, it has 9 screws; they put in 5. Should I complete the job? Do you think that will make the difference? I don't think it's a connection/broken headphone/bad wire issue since they work in other places.

Iwould definitely complete the job (Excessive heat=expansion,contraction warping.etc.)
It would also give you the opportunity to confirm there are no shorts.Also confirm all of the connections for anything to do with your sound components .
I bet that's the last time you will let one of those guys do that on the spot.
You may to take that board back to them if you think it may have suffered some damage. Certainly they garranteed their work/board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back