Hear me!!!!

nick_brien53

I hope I do not sound too arrogant or anything, but I really didn't think this exam was at all difficult. I studied MUCH less than I did for any of my MCSE exams (270, 290, 291, 293) and I passed the first time with 884/900. Then again, security is somewhat of a hobby of mine and I have been a longtime reader of 2600 (used to be good, sucks now), phrack, blacklisted411, etc. and I am a member of two local DEFCON groups so I suppose that I have a stronger background in this sort of thing than I realized. There aren't any real specifics here, just very basic overview of terms, etc. This may be something of a faux pas, but I purhased the Exam Cram book (only to get a discount on the test voucher) and I did not find it all that useful. If you simply want to pass, look at some of the exam simulation but be careful - a LOT of the questions on the sim don't matched those on the test . If you don't know the material, exam simulation dont help you

Not to burst your bubble(especially if you are looking for a career in CIS/IT), but almost all certifications these days are somewhat of a joke. They are based upon a bit more than basic knowledge on the subject, which most hobbiests already have. These tests used to mean something, and used to gain you a bit of respect. Today however, people who have been in the business for many years will laugh at you behind your back.

I remember a time when simply having certain certifications could land you a job, even with no formal experience. Today, the cert is simply something to decorate your wall, or at best might be a minimal requirement for getting your foot in the door on ground level. The market is already way beyond saturated with unemployed CIS, IT and related applicants who have these certs along with experience, it doesn't help matters that everyone and their brother also have these.

The one thing that would help is if these tests were a bit more in depth to separate those who are looking for a career in a related field from the common hobbiest who just wants to show off with a useless cert.

Back