Heatsink Migration Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

On my Athlon XP 2000+ (socket A) I was using a Thermaltake SLK-900 with a Thermaltake Smart Case Fan II 80mm as the CPU cooler. First, would that HSF combination still fit the socket 939 Athlon 64 3500 I just ordered? It's going in an Asus A85NX mobo.

Second, is there a better HSF for the Athlon 64s? I'm interested in going a bit quieter. If the HS from the old XP 2000 will fit, I may be able to find a larger, quieter fan for it.

Recommendations?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

the heatsinks for socket-A are roughly the same size as the socket itself. the heatsinks for socket-939 are much bigger. theoretically you could reuse your socket-A heatsink if you wanted, but you would have to make your own mount for it, but it would not cool as well due to it's smaller size (which would make the fan run at full speed all the time).

of course you can always get quieter, but the stock fans are not very loud, because Athlon64's run cool. even overclocked (moderately) they still run cool. I wouldn't worry about getting a new heatsink/fan for it until you try out the stock one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back