Heatsink Question? atholon64 3200+ 939

Status
Not open for further replies.

kesler

Is it better to buy any heatsink rather than use the one that came with my cpu? I am surprised that my cpu came with a thermal pad but on the amd website is states use thermal paste, If I read it correctly.

If you are not planning to overclock, then don't bother spending the money on an aftermarket cooler. You can get some thermal paste (like Arctic 5) and replace that thermal pad. You should see lower temps just by doing that. Just make sure you follow the instructions.

aftermarket heatsinks usually work better and more quieter than stock stuff..

cleaning the old thermal stuff and reapplying a new layer before fixing your new heatsink is recommended as well.. paste is better than pads, but thats a matter of opinion.. doesn't matter what you use, as long as its applied correctly.

But it depends.. is your current one not performing as well or is it too noisy?

oh yeh.. on last thing.. don't get any old hsf, get one suited for your cpu type/socket and look at its specs if you want acoustically more quieter ones etc.

I have the stock HSF on my Athlon 64 3200+, and I have overclocked it to 3800+ speeds, and runs cool & quiet, even with the fan @ 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back