Help! BIOS won't even boot. CPU fried?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just set up a bare system w/AMD XP 2800+, 512 MB DDR. I had it working on a mach speed motherboard until a capacitor along the DIMM slots shorted out and the thing started on fire (I'm not kidding or exaggerating). Worse even, this was after 3 days of having the system set up. So I got a refund and bought a Syntax S746FX mobo ( maybe nothing works because I'm such a cheapass). When I turn the system on, the screen flickers and all the LED's on the case/fans flicker, like it's constantly resetting. Is it possible that when my last mobo died, it killed my CPU and/or RAM as well, or is it my jumper settings, I've tried resetting the CMOS, but I can't even get a signal to the monitor. Does anyone know what's up with this? I'm pulling hairs out at an astronomical rate.

I would suggest taking everything out and reseating it. You need to make sure the CPU was put in properly. If you have more than 1 stick of RAM just use 1 of the sticks. This will make sure it isn't a compatibility issue. Also, when you put in the new mobo, did you make sure all the risers were in the same spot? You could have a grounding issue if you didn't move one of them. Give that a shot and if that doesn't help, post back!

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

if youve got a spare comp (thats working), start swapping out individual parts and seeing if you can boot into windows. once you get to a part that doesnt work, there is your dead component.

The only thing I can think of is that my ram is DDR400 and the manual doesn't say anything about being compatible with DDR400, but the website does, so far I've had no reply from their customer service. The risers thing may be true, I've never thought about that, or had that problem before. I'll check it out, and try the processor on a friends.

Update: I remounted the board, making sure all the risers were in and the board was sitting properly, and when I turned it on this time, it did even less. Now it just blinks once and shuts right down. It won't even turn on again unless I pull the power cord out of the power supply and put it back in. I'll get a volt meter and see if it's the problem. Any other thoughts? Still working on the processor, my friend is a little reluctant to put a (possibly) garbage processor in his computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back