Help: Building a system for $1000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a look at the configurations in the Guides section of this forum. Some of the suggestions there are worth strong consideration.
You selections are good, except that I would go for a Gigabyte or eVGA over the ASUS board... it has been so much trouble for so many.

The best i975x boards are the ABIT AW9D and AW9D MAX. Best DX9 Video Card right now is the SAPPHIRE X1950XT. An E6600 is all that you need, CPU-wise. Do you need that much storage? Those are big drives. If you're going to be playing a lot of games, smaller drives will be better. Easier to keep cool. Big drives collect heat and lock up easily. They're for storage. Seagate's still the way to go.

Switch to this mobo

You also didn't list a power supply. Take a look at this one.

You could also save some cash by stepping down to the E6600. You don't have an OS listed so will need to factor that into the cost as well (~$90 - $150).

There have been many posts on techspot on how to build a great performing budget PC. I posted on called the $300 PC awhile back. There have been others.

To: nickslick74 - be careful. Piracy is not tolerated on techspot. If you're GIVING or selling a copy of windows that is ok. But duplication is not allowed and illegal.

I see nothing that suggests duplication of Windows. The post did not include Windows in his parts list... which of course he will likely need. I don't recall NickSlick74 ever suggesting he was making Windows available.

No reading between the lines necessary. I was simply making the poster aware of the fact that Windows was not listed in the original parts list.

Nuff said.

edit: edited my post above to clarify my intention.

Step the CPU down another notch to E6420, and you can overclock it to be faster than the 6700. That will save a few hundred bucks. Unless you need the USB card reader, might wanna ditch that. Try to step the video card up to a 8800 series.

Something to say about the slight controversy here about W!ind@ws piracy, just wanted to ask... if TS doesn't support piracy? What about those members who may have pirated copy's of W!nd@ws that they use to access TS?

(NOT implying that I use a pirated copy)

(Also thought it was funny that TS blocks p_irate without the underscore, but it doesn't block "pirated" ;))

MetalX said:
Something to say about the slight controversy here about W!ind@ws piracy, just wanted to ask... if TS doesn't support piracy? What about those members who may have pirated copy's of W!nd@ws that they use to access TS?

(Also thought it was funny that TS blocks p_irate without the underscore, but it doesn't block "pirated" ;))

True but may pirated copies are still considered Genuine by microsoft because they use real product codes. Others have fake codes that appear valid.

This issue has already been addressed privately. Neither the author of the original message or myself condone piracy, but we can't stop it. Only monitor it on this forum and state our stance against it. As you can see, it's already been addressed above.

Thank you very much guys for the inputs, I changed the CPU as suggested for the E6600, and changed the motherboard for the GA-965P-DS3, got rid off the USB memory reader and end up with a $1000 system, I plan to install XP, Vista, and Linux (all legal). Again thanks to all of you for helping me with this project. I'll post the experience once I’m done.

That is a nice system you have there. The GA-965P-DS3 is a great motherboard and I'm sure it will serve you well. What will you use the system for though? A gaming system would need a good video card so the 8800GTS 320MB version as well as the X1950XT are perfect choices. But if you're only using it for general stuff like playing music, watching movies and using the net, you're wasting money and power(i.e. processing power). Keep us posted. :)

I’m back with a big smile, the project is done, and the results are very good, the only thing I had to do was updating the Bios to version F11, overclocking was easy. Is running at 3200 MHz, faster than an X6800 (about 2k MIPS according to Sis Sandra Utility). Thanks all very much once again for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back