Help Buying New System & CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to buy a new PC but I am totally confused with

(1) Hyper Threading
(2) Dual Core
(3) Core Duo
(4) Core 2 Duo

I barely started understanding that P4 3.8 GHz was the fastest sometime ago.

But now with above 3 how do they compare to P4 3.8 GHz in terms of Processing power ?

How much faster is the Latest Core 2 Duo in terms of P4 3.8 Ghz.

What is the difference between Core Duo, Core 2 Duo & Dual Core ?

Thanks
Kevin

I barely started understanding that P4 3.8 GHz was the fastest sometime ago.
a fast clock does not nessecarily guarantee better performance. an AMD processor of equal performance would run much closer to 2 GHz, for example.
How much faster is the Latest Core 2 Duo in terms of P4 3.8 Ghz.
in a word, very. the core2 duo runs more than 1 GHz slower but it is far more advanced, thus enabling it to leave the older 3.8GHz P4 in the dust. given the low cost of a core2 CPU and the massive increase in performance, there is no reason to build a new system using any other intel processor, and most AMD processors if truth be told.
What is the difference between Core Duo, Core 2 Duo & Dual Core ?
core duo was an older line of processors from intel, and is easily outperformed by the new core2 unit. dual-core is a processor design that combines two CPU cores into one single unit. think of it as having two CPUs in 1.

if you're interested in buying a new computer but find yourself unsure of what to put in it or how to do it, check out a local PC repair shop or talk to a PC technician. such enterprises can build a custom PC to fit your needs and budget. do yourself a huge favor and DO NOT buy a mass-produced branded system, also known as an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) build. examples of OEM systems are dell, gateway, sony, hp, compaq, emachines, and so on. OEM systems are generally not built to industry standards and use lower quality parts.

i'd be glad to reccomend what to get in your new system if you post what you intend to use the system for and how much money you are willing to spend.

Core Duo is also only available for laptops and seeing it's low power consumption and excellent performance, Intel decided to release a desktop chip based on the Core Duo design, codenamed Conroe. This CPU was released with the commercial brand name of Core 2 Duo and it is available on both laptops and desktops.

Hi zephead,

Really appreciate your kind help.

I want to get the latest PC for stock market charts & data.

I would be using at least 4 Monitors 21 inch or larger if available.

I will be using several stock market applications most of them cpu intensive.

No games though.

Lots of Hard Disk space.

Price doesn't matter but I know nothing about hardware troubleshooting or OS installation so I need full support. I bought Dell systems before just for this reason. They have good support but in my last ssystem they have used all chinese made parts and it keeps breaking down but they are good at replacing the parts rather than repairing, the only advantage.

What would you suggest ?

Thanks

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Core Duo is also only available for laptops and seeing it's low power consumption and excellent performance, Intel decided to release a desktop chip based on the Core Duo design, codenamed Conroe. This CPU was released with the commercial brand name of Core 2 Duo and it is available on both laptops and desktops.

Just curious.

What would the highest clock speed Core 2 Duo translate into P4 ?

Also why intel is confusing non technical people by giving similar names like Dual Core & then Core 2 Duo ?

Now many vendors in some countries are fooling people by giving them Dual Core & telling them that it is the Latest. A friend of mine just got fooled that way.

Dual Core is not a brand name. It is a category of processors that have two CPUs on the same die i.e. two processors bundled into one package. Also, what do u mean by
kevin2244 said:
Now many vendors in some countries are fooling people by giving them Dual Core & telling them that it is the Latest. A friend of mine just got fooled that way.
?
As for ur other query, there is no comparison between the two. The cheapest Core 2 Duo, the E6300, when overclocked (which is very easy to do BTW and, depending on how high u want to go, may not even require any extra cooling) blows away even the highest clocked Pentium 4 (or Pentium D for that matter).

The Pentium D is a great choice for running in multi-threaded environments. They're available for pretty cheap and are quite powerful when it comes to encoding and other multimedia tasks.

dont get a processor d...trust me go with the core 2 ive got the 2.13 core 2 with 3 gig ram and its very fast no lag whats so ever handles my apps great..the fastest processor they have in core 2 is the 2.9 but that alone is 1 grand for the processor so u can get the 2.13 which is fast and cost 300 or even go with the 2.6 which is only 500 i might sell my 2.13 and upgrade to the 2.6 soon.

The PC is not going to be used for gaming, so the Pentium D is a great low-cost alternative to the currently pricey (in comparison of course) Core 2 Duo line.

Keeping Future in mind as well as upgrading or exchanging in future, Core 2 Duo seems to be the consensus.

Thank You ALL for great inputs & suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back