HELP - can't find any of my important files on my old hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all -

I have a bit of a problem. Last month my Emachine (tower) would not work anymore. There was no power going to the computer therefore impossible for me to get any data off at that time. I now have a HP labtop and am trying to transfer some of my files from the Emachine to the HP. I bought a DYNEX hardrive enclosure and hooked it up. I have looked everywhere on that hard drive and cannot seem to locate 10G of music, pictures and some very important files. I did go into documents and settings on the old drive and clicked on my user name to see if any information was there. It said the folder was empty and it gave me an error message as access denied. I also checked the space available and there is 18G used out of 20G which is the same as when it was working in my Emachine. Please help me!

Thank you all!

Gracie Lou

see if you can right click on the drive, and go to security and permissions (or even on that individual folder) and set the owner as the user name on your lappy.

You can get software recovery programmes , that will read any Hard Disc , even after it has been formatted. One such program is Magic Recovery Pro , google it , you can download a demo. As long as the Drive will spin , it will read all data on it. Its the sort of program the Police use .

Half way there!

Ok ladies and gents.

So I used a program to find the files on my old hard drive and save them on the new labtop. Problem being that I can see all of the files but i cannot play any of my music in either iTunes or WM and am not able to view my pictures in any program.

If you can in any way help me with this that would be super great. Thanks for the help so far!

should put this with your first post about problem???
my memory bites
I would venture a guess that what ever you used that supposed to save the files did not do a good job
does the files show a file size or 0kb
could also be corrupted files that got saved
did you write to same drive while trying to save from this drive ,not a good thing

regards
save a stone

the file size shows as zero. I can replace all the music that is not so much of a big deal. I am more worried about all of the pictures that I have on the hard drive that are also showing a size of vero and will not load in any program. I am not understanding why they worked in the old computer but not converting them to this computer. They only thing I can figure is that somehow there was a bad virus that got into everything onto my hardrive. Also today my computer alerted me that it was shutting down to prevent any other losses. I tell this has just been one fun experience. Does anyone now of any virus scan that I can get to fix this? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back