Help cant format new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi i just put a new 160 gb hard drive in my old comp and created a new primary partition but when i go to format my new drive so i can install windows it says:
Invalid mediad type reading drive c: Abort, Retry, Fail?

Does anybody know why this is?

thanx jon

It really helps if you fill in details of Hardware and software in your Profile.
Saves guessing.
I bet you formatted that HDD with Fat32 Win 98 disk .There is a 130 Gig recognition limit for partitions .
Try breaking up the drive to 2-3 partition below 130 Gig

hi thanx for the reply, the hard drive i have put in is brand new and i've formatted it in dos as i have no os at the mo and then put a primary partition on but then when i got to format it after putting the partition on it wont let me do anything on the drive. And ive also tried splitting the partitions into a primary and a extended partition with 2 logical partitions below 130gig but it still wont let me access anything under the drive names all it comes up with is Invalid mediad type reading drive c: Abort, Retry, Fail?
or d if i was trying to use partition d or e respectivly. So i cant load win 98. any ideas please? coz no matter what i do i cant seem to format it either before or after partitioning it.

thanx jon

ps doing hardware profile in a min lol

Look around for a BIOS-update for that PC, it probably dows not recognize such a big HD.
At the back of that HD there probably is a jumper to limit it to 32GB. Set that and format it in 2 partitions, 5GB for W98 (10GB for W2K or XP), the rest for data.
If that does not work, and there is no BIOS-update for larger HDs, you can buy a separate PCI IDE-controller, which will be able to use the whole HD. Probably around £20.-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back