HELP! cant get into safe mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no viruses or anything of that matter, i forgot my password to my one and only user account (administrator) for windows xp media center edition 2005 and i go into safe mode and i see my account and the other called "Administrator", the problem is its password protected and i tryed from blank( to every password i know and i never set one for it. i dont have a boot cd, floppy or nothing nor have access to any. im on my moms computer by the way. any ideas too what it culd be set as?

Hi Metallica240 and welcome to the TS forum..

Your thread title is wrong, you can get into safe mode.....

Dont know what it could be, some defaults are password in upper and lower case, but if its a shop bought system with a preinstalled OS then its whatever the manufacturer set it as.

If you dont have access to a floppy or CD then basically your stuffed, you will have to take it to a PC shop who will have the ability to remove the password on the account, its easy to do and most shops can do it within a few minutes...

If however you can get a floppy then see this link here , if someone you know has a PC with Xp on it, then you can slave your main drive to it and delete a file called "sam" this is the file that holds passwords and is in the location winnt ( or windows) \system32\config.

Good luck and dont forget most car manufacturers supply 2 sets of keys to their cars...ever wondered why ??

Regards

thanks ididmyc for putting it straight for me. i was told to take my hard drive out and swap onto another computer but will it reset the password to my desktop, hopefully not i just want to be able to get onto safe mode cuz it will be blank when i delete the SAM thingy correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back