Help choosing a form factor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

damienb

Hi all,

When it comes to form factor. would you recommend ATX or micro ATX. I was thinking of going for micro ATX just becuase of size. Is one better than the other. is ATX is better for future upgrading? if so then i would go for that but if theres no difference then......?

Damien

I think that the only difference is essentially the size. Often, I think, Micro ATX boards are more entry-level, whereas most enthusiast/gaming motherboards are regular ATX. But if you find a Micro ATX mobo that has all the features you need, and you like the small size, go for it. Just make sure your case can support it, but I think most or all regular ATX cases will also support Micro ATX.

Cheers :)

It depends somewhat on the case you are using. Smaller form factor cases would require a micro ATX. For a mid tower and full tower it is an option. If case size allows either, then it's your choice depending on your budget or the motherboard features you want. Generally, ATX being larger would offer more features or more room for expansion cards and, thus, better potential for certain types of upgrades.

You are asking about a case right? Not motherboard?

These gentlemen have already provided a great reply regarding space availability between the two different form factors.

However I would like to add that you should consider cooling capability of the case. A smaller micro ATX case might be more compact, but it might be jammed tight in there and have poor airflow. If you have a power supply that went overkill on the cables, then you have no corners to tuck them behind in a micro ATX case, and the only place to put them is in the way of your fans. Furthermore, lack of space also impacts future upgrade space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back