HELP: Computer died during defragmentation!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

domyue

Hi guys...
I was defragmenting my c-drive when suddenly the screen goes black and beeps occur. I know these are what you call bios beeps. But I can't find this combination of beeps anywhere.
It's 2 VERY short beeps followed by 8 regular beeps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have exams in a few days and I need my computer!!

Thanks!!
DoM

Then 2 beeps are for system RAM the 8 beeps is a faulty video card. Remove the RAM and then re-install it. Make sure the memory and video card are seated properly . Then clear the CMOS. There should be a jumper close to the battery, it might say CMOS on the motherboard. Move the jumper over and then back.

sorry I'm a bit of a newb when it comes to the technicals...what is CMOS and how do I exactly clear it??? and where is the jumper that I have to take out?

Also, do i have to start the computer with the moved jumper and then switch off, and then replace back to original??
Or do i just move it and straight after, move it back to original position??

Thanks so much for your time!!

The CMOS is a chip where the BIOS information is stored. There should be a silver disk battery at the lower right hand corner of the motherboard. The jumper should be next to the battery but not always and sometimes it red. Unplug the computer, move the jumper over one space and then move it back to where it was.

Why does this problem happen?? Is it because of a faulty video card??
Also, before the problem I've notice that my Cdrive freespace went from 3GB to 200MB in a day....... Is this a virus or something?? I've checked it all and I can't find anything. It's actively eating up my hard drive at a rate of about 1mb a min i think.

Thanks again

Do you have Anti-Virus program? Is it up to date with virus definitions? Are you running a Firewall? Have you any anti-spyware program?

Yup, i have all of them (although my firewall has a few open ports...) All are updated to latest and recently scanned PC.
I'll do this CMOS thing within the next 2 days...do I'll post again to see if it changed anything. So how come this problem occurs anyway??

You could also try Ewido that finds some interesting things. You may be able to answer the 'why' question when you find the 'what' is the cause.

I got computer fixed now. It works apparently fine for now. I've got antispyware and norton..all latest updates. Do I still need this ewido??
My HD space is still gone somewhere that I can't find. How can my C drive use up 19gig when I don't put anything on it???
I'm not so sure its spyware or viruses...but you suggest. I'll do a download if you think its the right way.
Thanks

It is up to you if you wish to use Ewido. I paid for it and have it checking live.

As for lack of disc space empty your temp files and recycle bin. That should give you some more.

You may also have lots of unistall files for Windows updates.

Hi,
I have emptied everything that I can think of. Are there any particularly hidden temp or recycle files that I might have missed out??? (like norton's protective files, which i've already cleared apparently)
Also how do I remove unneccessary windows update/temp files safely??

Thanks !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back