Help configuring SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram

Hi everyone,

I really don´t know if this is a problem, but here it is:
I have installed a Western Digital Caviar SE wd800jd, and install windows normally. But before installing windows, it said that it didn´t find any massive storage volume. So I put the SIS SATA RAID floppy and tell windows to load drivers from there. No problems, windows installs and everything fine. But I noticed two things:
1.-The HDD light barely lights up, compared to my old IDE drive. It lights up, but when loading windows, it BARELY lights up. On my old drive, it was VERY bright.

2.- Windows recognizes the drive as a SCSI drive, but it is a SATA!! Whats wrong with that?

Anyway, it works. I have benchmarked the HDD with HDTACH and it got around 52-53MB/s with a CPU usage of 10%. What do you think about the results? I think they are good.

Here is a link to the drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822135106

Thanks for reading this long thread! :zzz: :)

Is it an older motherboard?

1. The SATA feature may be a dirty hack on an old mobo design and the LED circuitry may be something quick-and-dirty too.

2. Nothing wrong, this is perfectly normal.

Thanks for the reply!

The motherboard is a MSI 661FM2-LSR. It´s a little old, but not too much.
The led light is still working "fine". It lights up a LOT when the hdd is doing a lot of work. I think that it is normal.

Another thing, what do you think about the speed of the drive:
52-53MB/s average,
and about the random acess time:
19ms???

I think the acess time is a little high. I don´t know if that is related to the "Soft Seek" technology that WD uses.
Any way to disable it?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back