HELP!! CPU stuck to heatsink like super glue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallabing

Tried to remove the heatsink to replace it with a different heatsinl and to my suprise my Athlon 64 X2 3800 was stuck to the bottom of the stock heatsink!

I didnt dare try to put it back in the socket with the heatsink welded onto it because the locking lever was still down, the cpu was pulled while the locking lever was down.

Now I'm stuck with a cpu welded onto my heatsink and I'm scared I might break it.

Do I just try to pry it off with a small screwdriver?

get electronics cleaner at your local electronics shop. Spray in between (like you were using wd40 -but don't use wd40!). Then GENTLY apply pressure with a small screwdriver. You might have to let the cleaner soak in a little.

How about use a blowdryer to reheat the paste so it comes off?

oh wait I dont have a blow dryer......

How about take off the fan, put the heatsink on a pan and heat it gently on the stove?

Do you mean the heatsink is off and the cpu is out of the socket?

If so, don`t use a screwdriver as this will scatch the heatsink, use an old creditcard instead to gently prise the two apart.

If the cpu is still in the socket, run the computer at 100% load for a few minutes to heat the cpu and heatsink. Turn off the computer and unplug it from the mains. Release the heatsink clips and gently twist the heatsink left and right. It should come off without having to apply too much force. Once it`s separated, use some isopropyl, or rubbing alcohol to clean the old thermal pad/paste off the heatsink and cpu die.

Regards Howard :)

I should I never used that heatsink "putty" thermal pad the stock heatsink came with. In addition, I overclock my cpu, so maybe the high heat and cooling really hardended the putty and gave it a very tight suction to the cpu and heatsink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back