HELP for, Compressing 208MB MPEG4 File to under 100MB, to post on the web

Status
Not open for further replies.

joejoejoe

Hi I have a MPEG4 file which is 208MB and i would like to compress it down to at least under 100MB. Does anyone know the best method of doing this without losing too much sound quality and visual quality??? Please could you recommend any programs for me to use. Thank You.

There is no way you can compress it that much, especially if it's MPEG4 already. You have to take some drastic steps..

Instead of upping the compression level drastically, which would make the thing very, very ugly, try either reducing the resolution (2x decrease in image side gives you 4x less area and therfore size) or interlacing (interlaced = 2x smaller)

yeah i thought so...the file opens up at a 640 x 480 pixels and i would not mind halving the visual size...its the audio qulaity thats more important. How would i do this????

You need video editing software like Roxio 7.0 or something like that. Try googling for free/demo video editing software. You might even find a demo version of Roxio that lets you edit a few movies before expiring, others are limited in time, so you just use it for the next few days before it expires.

Video and audio tracks are completely separate. Doing something to the video does not alter the sound in any way. Of course, if the audio track is a high-bitrate WAV, then you might consider reducing the size of that too :)

VirtualDub is the free video editing program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back